No idle no throttle

Well had a day of fun riding. I've road about 6 miles today off and on got up to 25 miles an hour just about home and the damn thing is locked up. If this is some catostropic event I'm done I hope it's not but one day of riding in 4 months and it locks up I've drawn the line

Well had a day of fun riding. I've road about 6 miles today off and on got up to 25 miles an hour just about home and the damn thing is locked up. If this is some catostropic event I'm done I hope it's not but one day of riding in 4 months and it locks up I've drawn the line
if you pushed it hard without knowing for sure that you didn't have an air leak you were likely running lean and got the piston hot enough to soft seize. You can't get away with running a 2 stroke with a questionable operating condition, they are unforgiving.

if you pushed it hard without knowing for sure that you didn't have an air leak you were likely running lean and got the piston hot enough to soft seize. You can't get away with running a 2 stroke with a questionable operating condition, they are unforgiving.
I guess I went over it this morning I couldn't find any air leaks and I finally adjusted the idle down nicely. Throughout the day when I stopped and let it cool down Id check all the bolt pulled the plug a couple of time it looked as it should have and yes probably to much unforgiving I can't afford it I enjoyed the ride today but was not worth the time and money I've put into it. Soft seize is that fixable without spending anymore money which I'm not going to do. I'll look at it tomorrow and go from there. If it's trashed that's what it will be or scrap. Would you mind explaining soft size the only thing I know to do now it tear into it and I debating if I've got it in me. Sorry if I'm rambling I'm just tired and discusted.

I guess I went over it this morning I couldn't find any air leaks and I finally adjusted the idle down nicely. Throughout the day when I stopped and let it cool down Id check all the bolt pulled the plug a couple of time it looked as it should have and yes probably to much unforgiving I can't afford it I enjoyed the ride today but was not worth the time and money I've put into it. Soft seize is that fixable without spending anymore money which I'm not going to do. I'll look at it tomorrow and go from there. If it's trashed that's what it will be or scrap. Would you mind explaining soft size the only thing I know to do now it tear into it and I debating if I've got it in me. Sorry if I'm rambling I'm just tired and discusted.
A soft seize is when the piston gets so hot it expands to the point that it seizes against the cylinder. Most of the time, as long as you are careful getting it un-stuck, the engine can still run reliably afterward. Sometimes though it can cause some damage that can drastiaclly shorten the life of the engine, or ruin it.

Before you try to un-stick it, remove both side covers and just inspect things. Something else may have gone wrong that caused it to get stuck. Magneto magnet could have come loose, etc. Just doesn't hurt to look.

If you decide to un-stick it, remove the spark plug and pour a bit of oil into the cylinder. Use the nut on the magnet and a socket to gently rock the crank back and forth to see if there is any movement. If not, slowly increase the effort you put into the wrench until it released. Just don't go too hard on it as you will potentially tighten the nut so hard you cold strip the threads on the crankshaft. Alternatively, you can try to use the rear wheel, the sprocket nut, or clutch nut to try and rock the engine too.

If you do get it un-stuck, I would at least pull the head and inspect the inside for any damage. Quite a lot of damage from a soft seize can actually be cheaply repaired.

If it won't break free then you would be looking at removing the cylinder.

As far as how you feel, I can understand. It can be frustrating having to fight with these little engines and their countless issues. The learning curve is steep. If you need to walk away, then walk away, but don't give up just yet. Often times you will find success just another step or two around the corner.

A soft seize is when the piston gets so hot it expands to the point that it seizes against the cylinder. Most of the time, as long as you are careful getting it un-stuck, the engine can still run reliably afterward. Sometimes though it can cause some damage that can drastiaclly shorten the life of the engine, or ruin it.

Before you try to un-stick it, remove both side covers and just inspect things. Something else may have gone wrong that caused it to get stuck. Magneto magnet could have come loose, etc. Just doesn't hurt to look.

If you decide to un-stick it, remove the spark plug and pour a bit of oil into the cylinder. Use the nut on the magnet and a socket to gently rock the crank back and forth to see if there is any movement. If not, slowly increase the effort you put into the wrench until it released. Just don't go too hard on it as you will potentially tighten the nut so hard you cold strip the threads on the crankshaft. Alternatively, you can try to use the rear wheel, the sprocket nut, or clutch nut to try and rock the engine too.

If you do get it un-stuck, I would at least pull the head and inspect the inside for any damage. Quite a lot of damage from a soft seize can actually be cheaply repaired.

If it won't break free then you would be looking at removing the cylinder.

As far as how you feel, I can understand. It can be frustrating having to fight with these little engines and their countless issues. The learning curve is steep. If you need to walk away, then walk away, but don't give up just yet. Often times you will find success just another step or two around the corner.
Thank you I needed to hear the advice and encouragement.

ImpulseRocket,you were spot on I opened up the side cover that has the drive sprocket and the chain kinda bunched up in there a little bit was easy enough to fix. When I got my bike out to ride it felt funny low and behold the back rim is warped I guess. So this is a new one on me so any advise is appreciated. When I seen it looked warped I went through a tightened all the spokes thinking that would help but it didn't it wheel may be garbage I was going to mag wheels anyway but I'd rather transition into them It's been a beautiful day to ride but as usual I'm not.

Sounds like you experienced chain jam. If you can get rid of a tensioner and get the tension proper without it you will be way less likely to experience this problem again. Could you maybe post some pictures of your current wheel situation?

Back