FD and rear suspension?

Be careful of hard bumps/potholes on the Next Avalon!

I have one that's formerly an axle mounted chain drive, now back to friction because of a bad pothole that bent my rim, bent my mount plate, torqued the forks so now they wobble front/back, stretched the pivot holes for the swing arm so now the swing arm wiggles, and trashed the 5:1 tranny when the chain bound up after the mount bent. I'm not surprised from a $100 wally world bike but man that's a ton of damage from a pot hole! I built a f/s for a reason!?! IMG_20140521_090349099_HDR.jpg

I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow as a F/D. I just installed it this morning LOL.

stock wheels lasted a month and the bearings flat spotted replaced with better 12 gauge spokes and a double wall rim in the rear and the front wheel off a diamondback in the front. The so called rear shock fell apart just after the wheels roasted. I have found to use 26x1.95 tires I have to install the wheel with
the tire flat. would not recommend this bike unless its the only option available at the time... even then better of waiting for something better!!!

I have had 2 Kent/Next Avalons I motorized. One had a Golden Eagle belt drive with a Subaru Robin EHO35. I only used it a couple months when it was stolen and never recovered. The second was converted into an e-bike with an e-bikekits.com rear direct drive hub motor that came laced into a good quality wheel. The hub motor, battery, controller, wiring harness, and all, added about 20-25 pounds to the bike and I weigh about 220 pounds. As a common sense matter of course, I replaced all the wheels with better quality units(double wall alloy rims and at least 13 gauge spokes) and I always try to avoid hitting potholes, storm drains, curbs and the like. Unfortunately, we all know that sometimes we can't avoid them or don't see them in time. I also replaced the front fork when the original wore out and got wobbly with a better quality aftermarket fork that also allowed me to mount a disc brake. The Avalon survived three years of hard use, then, this Spring, I heard a little snapping sound when I hit a bump. A close inspection revealed a small crack in the frame near where the rear shock mount tabs are welded to the alloy frame at the seat tube and I put the frame in the recycling. The center frame on the Avalon is alloy, but the front and rear suspension forks are steel. All the extra weight and stress I put on the cheap Avalon were just too much and the alloy frame cracked. It held up well for a few years considering it started life as a cheapo $120.00 comfort bike that I forced to endure higher than design speeds and stresses. If you are using a cheap, big box store bike as a base bike to motorize, replace the wheels, tires, and carefully inspect the frame for cracks once a week or so. I put all the e-bike stuff on my formerly gas engined Schwinn Protocol 1.0. I bought a cheapo Kent Glendale, just like an Avalon, but without the rear suspension, and made it my friction drive gas motored bike with good quality wheels and tires. We'll see how long it holds up. :)

Thatsdax.com friction kit comes with the short U mount and Long U mount for rear suspension bikes.

Back