I may be a moron. Phatmoto 24' preorder.

I love the look of the phatmoto, but I don't like the aluminum frame. A project that is on my bucket list is building my own phatmoto style bike with a steel frame and hydroforming a tank to weld on. I wanna do a built 3hp briggs flathead on it. This however is a huge project that I am gonna put off until I move out, and possibly even until I graduate.
Trust me I don't like that it's aluminum either, but all the Felt Fakers are unfortunately.

I CAN weld aluminum, I'm just not great at it.

the frame being aluminum isn't really the issue. Aluminum is incredibly strong. The issue with most Alumnum bike frames is that they are made out of "just enough" to get the intended job of supporting a human using pedals. Toss in a solid mounted single cylinder engine that vibrates like mad and make it go double or triple the speed of human pedal power and the frame is just not up to the task.

As far as I can tell the Felt Faker frames are built and braced a bit more than a standard bicycle and do hold up better to being motorized. The biggest issue I have seen with most of them is usually the quality of the welds themselves. That is the part I don't trust on those cheaply made Felt Faker frames.

the frame being aluminum isn't really the issue. Aluminum is incredibly strong. The issue with most Alumnum bike frames is that they are made out of "just enough" to get the intended job of supporting a human using pedals. Toss in a solid mounted single cylinder engine that vibrates like mad and make it go double or triple the speed of human pedal power and the frame is just not up to the task.

As far as I can tell the Felt Faker frames are built and braced a bit more than a standard bicycle and do hold up better to being motorized. The biggest issue I have seen with most of them is usually the quality of the welds themselves. That is the part I don't trust on those cheaply made Felt Faker frames.
The two things I don't like with aluminum is the quality and alloy can be as strong as steel or soft as pot metal.
And the fact that it will bend once, snap twice.

The two things I don't like with aluminum is the quality and alloy can be as strong as steel or soft as pot metal.
And the fact that it will bend once, snap twice.
Which is why a properly built Aluminum part is designed to have minimal flex in it, and has the right type of alloy and heat treat for the right type of strength and other properties desired. The typical cheap China way to make aluminum parts is use sub-par alloy, but use twice as much of it for strength lol.

A large majority is 6061 T6 aluminum used for machining.
Very familiar with T6 billet CNC upgrade goodies in R/C racing, anodized in all sorts of colors, you would snap steel pins before bending a hub carrier.

I miss those days, I don't miss the wallet decimation it causes though.
HoBaoH4E-1.jpg

This was the last frame I built, absolutely beautiful in person, mine only got to see one race and then sold it.

Very familiar with T6 billet CNC upgrade goodies in R/C racing, anodized in all sorts of colors, you would snap steel pins before bending a hub carrier.

I miss those days, I don't miss the wallet decimation it causes though.
View attachment 206060
This was the last frame I built, absolutely beautiful in person, mine only got to see one race and then sold it.
I’d like to get into Rc racing but there is no clubs near me

I’d like to get into Rc racing but there is no clubs near me
Exactly the problem here, I moved from IL to FL and by me there are no tracks.
They aren't fun for long just running on a street or the backyard.

Sucks because I was getting pretty good, got 4th in state championship for 1/12 pancar.

Back