Rear wheel does not spin freely

Ball Mario

Local time
1:17 AM
Hello.
This is my first ever bike kit I've built and I'm pretty much done with it, the only problem I've encountered with it is kinda crucial, the rear wheel does not spin freely and I have to put my entire body weight on it for it to even spin a little bit.
I'm fairly certain it's a problem with the clutch because before I attached the chain to the rear sprocket I could pedal just fine, I've messed about with the clutch a little bit but I really want to get some advice before I do anything stupid.
I'm open to any advice if you see any problems or anything to improve upon apart from this issue, I'm sure a lot will say cable management and I assure you I will get to that, but I really want to fix this first.

Thank you.

Attachments

• B633099E-A204-41CB-B28C-39EB4C2E748C.jpeg
    B633099E-A204-41CB-B28C-39EB4C2E748C.jpeg
    357.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 672154B6-DA1A-4749-B929-C32BB386B7AE.jpeg
    672154B6-DA1A-4749-B929-C32BB386B7AE.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 54
That chain looks loose, you could have gotten a chain jam under the clutch arm cover. Pop the cover with the clutch arm off and see if the chain is bound up in there. You should be able to cut that chain down so you don't have to use the tensioner.

Another thing, you're gonna want to add some rim brakes on that and gut the coaster to make it a freewheel. At least you've taken the fenders off lol

Pull your clutch cable through the arm a bit more. Don't use the little screw in the arm, it can break the end. Get a cable stop and run that outside the arm. When you pull it through, try turning your wheel, keep pulling on the cable until the wheel turns.

Get this kind of stop.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Pull your clutch cable through the arm a bit more. Don't use the little screw in the arm, it can break the end. Get a cable stop and run that outside the arm. When you pull it through, try turning your wheel, keep pulling on the cable until the wheel turns.

Get this kind of stop.

Thank you!
I've pulled the clutch cable more an that fixed it, also yeah I did notice that the screw does seem to damage the cable a bit, I'll look into getting the cable stop you said, again thank you very much

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That chain looks loose, you could have gotten a chain jam under the clutch arm cover. Pop the cover with the clutch arm off and see if the chain is bound up in there. You should be able to cut that chain down so you don't have to use the tensioner.
I was able to fix it by pulling the clutch cable some more, but I'll look into the chain too, thanks

Thank you!
I've pulled the clutch cable more an that fixed it, also yeah I did notice that the screw does seem to damage the cable a bit, I'll look into getting the cable stop you said, again thank you very much
No matter which cable stop you use, the screw will put a bend in the cable. Clutch cables are cheap though, and easy to change.

No matter which cable stop you use, the screw will put a bend in the cable. Clutch cables are cheap though, and easy to change.
I thi k the barrel nut is a better idea. They allow the clutch cable to hae some wiggle room rather than bending it back and fourth.

Wow a pack of 2 of those babies is over $13! Crazy.
I've been using both the stock set screw and a cable stop. Half torque on each one seems to work great.

Back