Hello Everyone - I need some advice and information...

I only use ebay for used things. You can get burn3d on used things, but at least that is always a risk with used items. Ebay is about the best place to get oem parts for Japanese motorcycles

This seller (according to his profile) has sold 71 of these kits. Ebay only lets you search the last 12 months of reviews for a specific product. :rolleyes:

Anywho... there's 7 of reviews for this specific kit on this page.
4 Positive, 2 Negative, and 1 neutral. Not exactly a spectacular endorsement.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Mr Staton is trying to sell 2 stroke solo kits for not too much money. https://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=2313

Mr Staton is trying to sell 2 stroke solo kits for not too much money. https://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=2313

Gosh, 100 bucks.for the plate is cheap! I might have to order one and see what I can find motor wise.

Stay with the Staton FD, coupled to the Honda knock-off, or the Lifan engine.
The Zenoah engines are great high rpm 2 strokes, but you have to add oil
to the gas, and you won't like all the noise they make. I have the Honda
engine coupled to a 1.25 inch roller and it has plenty of get-up and go.
No chains to adjust, no gearboxes, very reliable.

Attachments

• frictiondrivebike3.JPG
    frictiondrivebike3.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 21
Don't need to tell you but the hondas will run and run and run some more provided you stay on top of maintenance. Can even run 10% ethanol fuel if you get a genuine model. Jerry has a Subaru Robin that's been running for 13 or 14 years now.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying this kit, in fact, I'm somewhat interested in it myself because of the price-point, but...

Several reviewers online complain that the Solo engine is not reliable. Only one of those reviews is for the Staton bike kit specifically... the other reviews are from folks who have the Solo engines mounted on augers.

I'll look for links to what I'm referencing on another day (I don't have time now). A simple Google search will confirm what I'm saying...

Suffice it to say, the glitch seems to be in the carburetor. Apparently, there's some type of "breather" tube with a sponge or mesh in it, and when that sponge gets clogged (or dries-out in the off-season), the carburetor doesn't work correctly and the engine doesn't run. One guy said he found a solution to the problem, and the engine now runs amazingly... others didn't fare so well.

The other thing worth mentioning, is that on the Staton site, the Solo engine kit is the only kit with the following disclaimer: "No Warranty - No Return - No Refund - Sold AS IS." That's cut & pasted right from the Staton web page. That alone makes me skeptical. Mr. Staton also lists several important instructions for operating this engine correctly.

The bottom line: This engine is finicky. In the right hands it might be a great buy. In the wrong hands, it might be a $150 paperweight. Your mileage may vary...

If this topic has already been covered on this forum, disregard my cautionary warning... LOL

Suffice it to say, the glitch seems to be in the carburetor. Apparently, there's some type of "breather" tube with a sponge or mesh in it, and when that sponge gets clogged (or dries-out in the off-season), the carburetor doesn't work correctly and the engine doesn't run. One guy said he found a solution to the problem, and the engine now runs amazingly... others didn't fare so well.
EPA Crankcase vent tube
Solution: vent into the atmosphere

Back