Chain pop off issue, please help solve mystery.

I forgot to add, I replaced the original tensioner clamp bolts with high-tensile, then wound them up extra-tight as well, just to be sure.
The other thing that I found was that the small flat-sided part of the roller pin/bolt tends to round off, making it hard to tighten properly.
I filed the end into a hex shape, (14mm socket fits perfectly), so that I could hold it still while tightening. It's worth the effort.

Pic below. (The pin isn't off-centre, that's just the photo angle.)

... Steve

attachment.php

Attachments

• Filed Roller Pin half size.JPG
    Filed Roller Pin half size.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 408
Mmm to be honest I really dont like the idea of these little plastic things.

I saw a thread before where someone used one for a while til their chain was stretched/everything was tuned and stable, then replaced the whole thing with a modified BMX freewheel sprocket setup...

Seems to me like that would be a billion times better, unless you can think of any reason why not Steve?

At the very least mine seems to be quite noisy, which is annoying when not using the engine heh.

(Just a random opinion ive formed)

Mmm to be honest I really dont like the idea of these little plastic things.
I saw a thread before where someone used one for a while til their chain was stretched/everything was tuned and stable, then replaced the whole thing with a modified BMX freewheel sprocket setup...
Seems to me like that would be a billion times better, unless you can think of any reason why not Steve?
At the very least mine seems to be quite noisy, which is annoying when not using the engine heh.
(Just a random opinion ive formed)

No, Mike, I don't like them either, they're rubbish and dangerous.
(Note that I don't have a chain, sprocket or tensioner on the LHS any more - that's the real answer. Get a shift kit.)

Next option, a 'Manic Mechanic' sprocket and adaptor, along with a decent tensioner that mounts to the frame at both ends and as an added measure, a spring tensioner.

Option 3, a so-called 'anti-buckle' hub from EziRide Cycles.

With some frames, you can do away with the tensioner, shorten the chain to suit and slide your wheel back to tension. Not an option on my bike, the back axle hangers are vertical.

Do you mean a modified BMX freewheel setup on the LHS?

Really, my advice was really only for those who insist on using the standard kit, to help avoid injuries.

... Steve

Popping chain brand new. New build new kit fron BGF said nit was a 415 brown chain. stiff links, soaked it over night in gas and oil. Clean chain no kinks no popping any more. Put its not a brown chain. Only thing that was drown about it was the brown **** that came on it. This was a bad kit, lots of bad parts,but the motor runs. I wont be buying any kits from BGF anymore. Have Fun Be Safe

Back