New build - Chain jamming

My pedal chain is a bit loose... but as the drive chain stretches, the pedal chain tightens with each adjustment. :)

The key to success is to use links and/or half-link on the pedal chain to allow the drive chain to run tight. I've updated mine to include a spring tensioner... it really wasn't all that necessary but it gives my chainstay a little more clearance....

View attachment 190672
I'd suggest not mentioning "chain stretch." There are a couple of discussions about how the term chain stretch is not what actually happens.

I'd suggest not mentioning "chain stretch." There are a couple of discussions about how the term chain stretch is not what actually happens.
I know that other members like Chainlube have mentioned this as well.

I have mentioned it as well a number of times...Here are two times I posted recently that I can remember.

My pedal chain is a bit loose... but as the drive chain stretches, the pedal chain tightens with each adjustment. :)

The key to success is to use links and/or half-link on the pedal chain to allow the drive chain to run tight. I've updated mine to include a spring tensioner... it really wasn't all that necessary but it gives my chainstay a little more clearance....

View attachment 190672
I run a spring loaded tensioner too....always have run one.
When I put the disc brake on the rear, I used a mount just like yours in the photo above. It had to be slightly modified. The 2 lower mount bolt holes are not in position to be of use, so I drilled thru the mount and tapped the stay for a 4mm bolt. This gives it the axle and the 4mm bolt to lock it down and prevent any movement or ability to rotate out of position. Any variation in the chain gets picked up by the tensioner. I also put a better quality chain on in the process. I've had hit n miss luck with the cheap $10-$12 drive chains.

I had the same problem a few years ago when I first installed the two stroke engine on my bike, my rear wheel was locked and I had to carry the bike home by lifting the front wheel. The cause was the looseness of the chain due to the movement of the tensioner.

Back