tagalong and trailer pushers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I went on the cheap building my trailer...

You beat me hands down with that handtruck setup of yours!

Creative and simple!

I like yours too. Despite the handtruck, mine wasn't so cheap with all the extra metal tubing and bolts. :eek: Engine was only $130 however :D

While on the subject here....

Is there any place that sells used B&S engines online?

Where did you get that engine for $130?

While on the subject here....

Is there any place that sells used B&S engines online?

Where did you get that engine for $130?

Harbor Freight Tools sells a 6.5HP engine. It's normally about $160, but it's on sale this month again for only $130. It's a Lifan Engine (Honda Clone) and it's easier to fix and take apart than a B&S engine. They also have 11HP and 13HP if you really want to get radical.

push mower engine strong enough?

Hey i found a push mower that someone on craigslist is just giving away. Says it is electric start and needs gas and battery. i was just wondering if you think a push mower engine would be too small for a pusher trailer? im not sure how many horse it is, it doesnt say. this thread really makes me want to build a pusher. thanks for any help.

Levsmith...

A push mower is typically a vertical shaft engine, and they are a dime a dozen as they say.

The only problem with using a vertical shaft engine is how to transfer the power vertically to the horizontal axle or sprocket. From my experience, it is not so easily done!

My pusher is a 6.5hp horizontal engine, BUT I would say you could easily get very good results from a 3 or 3.5 horsepower engine....

Any thoughts on this znsanerider?

Levsmith...

A push mower is typically a vertical shaft engine, and they are a dime a dozen as they say.

The only problem with using a vertical shaft engine is how to transfer the power vertically to the horizontal axle or sprocket. From my experience, it is not so easily done!

My pusher is a 6.5hp horizontal engine, BUT I would say you could easily get very good results from a 3 or 3.5 horsepower engine....

oh ok i see what you mean. never thought about that. thanks for the reply

Levsmith...

Sure.......

My heavy 6.5HP trailer is over 50lbs.

A 3.5HP engine weighs less and would be much easier to tote around, and it would have plenty of power, and still go fast. I was originally going to use a used B&S 3.5HP engine, but the cheaper and easier to work on brand-new 6.5HP Lifan was too hard to resist. :D

If you find a used or cheap 3.5 then go for it, however, the new Lifan 6.5HP is cheaper than any new B&S 3.5HP engines I've come across.

Another member here, SensationPDX, uses a little Honda 50GX engine (50cc) on his, and the trailer is nice and small. I wonder how much it weighs.....

What's so cool about trailers is that the bike goes un-modified, and you can switch bikes as needed!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back