tagalong and trailer pushers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked closer at that axle and the sprocket is actually bolted on there. Yea maybe a smaller sprocket in back,larger sprocket up front and equal sized pulleys down below.
And I'll probably go for taller wheels as well for that's bolted on too.
I'm like free all day tommorow so I'll probably be tinkering with it.
I wonder though if they make a large pulley centrifical clutch.

It was free? How cool is that. I like the handle bars. Good find Large, have fun.

OK question so is this legal in California to have a engine on a trailer. I actually have a 110cc 4 stroke pocket bike that I am thinking of cutting up and using the engine to put on a trailer. The pocket bike frame is messed as is so not much I can do with it. I know its not legal b/c its over the 50cc limit but I can "convince" a cop it is. I can just etch, somehow, in 49cc over where it says 107cc. I originally thought I was going to do a 49cc friction mount but my bike seems hard to do it to since my bike has the rear suspension like this bike http://images.google.com/imgres?img...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=2Pt&sa=G

Here's what I would do. Build it,etch that 49cc bla bla bla,then call the police department and ask them about your ride. Arrange to have them look at it. Tell them you intend on using it to go to work,save gas,ect,ect,and with their blessing ride it over there or even load it up in your pick up truck or van and drive it over there. Then see what they say and have it in writing somehow. Ask them about trail usage,maybe talk a bit about being not in great shape,maybe you may be limited disabled meaning you can't pedal for 10 miles without quitting entirely,emphasize this puppy helps you with climbing hills and with pedal assist,that this in no way takes over and that you will maintain speeds under 20 mph.
Or you can go the other route and just ride it,man. If cops stop you,fine. If they just wave at you,even better.
The one thing I would have in a trailer pusher is an electric start and some type of freewheel so that you can shut her down and coast whenever you need to like if you're in a bike trail and passing people with dogs.
It's slow but I figured on using that rear axle on that mower and get a horizontal shaft engine with centrifugal clutch right on the shaft. It will go on my trike and I'll have some type of way to lift the entire unit off the ground by way of cable for the unit will be hinged to the supporting bar above the bicycle rear axle. Since it's a trailer,the starting battery can go there too.
It would rule. Push the starter button,idle the engine then while peddling,lower the assembly via some type of control maybe a stick shift type lever attached to the bicycle frame,then take off.
I need money.
I need money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the awesome thing about using this pocket bike. It has a clutch so I would not have to worry about it causing drag when im not using it. It has electric start and kill switch that I can lengthen. I am thinking if I just cover the engine with something that looks like a rack to carry stuff I would not even get hassled. Then find a way to quiet down the exhaust (which it is already pretty quiet) and you would barely even hear it running. I live about 3 miles from the beach so I figure I can use it to carry stuff there. You dont know if by law it would be legal or not though? I figure since a 49cc scooter is legal then why should this not be. Thanks for the help

I went the tow behind trailer route....

I am using a Briggs 6.5 HP engine with a 12 tooth clutch that runs back to a 42 tooth sprocket on a live axle. I have about 20 miles on her at this point, and could not be happier with the ride or performance. It climbs the steepest of hils even going slowly at a low idle.

In terms of cost, without the engine I had already, all other parts set me back about $90 to make it myself. I figured out the gearing with the rpm and it should go about 34mph wound out at 3600 rpm's.

Hands down, this is one of the greatest projects I have ever done.......

I built a 6.5HP 52MPH pusher trailer a month ago here, still riding it, new clutch, now geared for JUST 40-45mph :devilish:

Attachments

• IMG_1361MB2.JPG
    IMG_1361MB2.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_1380MB.JPG
    IMG_1380MB.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_1362MB2.JPG
    IMG_1362MB2.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_1359MB2.JPG
    IMG_1359MB2.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 747
  • belt drive 006.jpg
    belt drive 006.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 744
I just joined this forum & found this thread soon thereafter. I built one and am gathering parts for a more sophisticated version. I made the first one about 20 yrs. ago. I've renewed my interest recently. You can see my first one in Google videos here;

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1262019802413200431

YOUR video is the inspiration for my bike trailer!!! Saw it on youtube first, then google, then I built my 6.5hp trailer!

Glad you post here now!

Happy riding!
ZnsaneRyder

Attachments

• IMG_1380MB.JPG
    IMG_1380MB.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 678
I thought I went on the cheap building my trailer...

You beat me hands down with that handtruck setup of yours!

Creative and simple!

Attachments

• 08-07-08_1816.jpg
    08-07-08_1816.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 792
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back