Possible Electric Bicycle ? [ trolling motor ]

Sorry but thats never going to happen you will be lucky to see 6mph and then burn out the controller and or motor in ten min !A 40lbs thrust is due to the dia and pitch of the prop it does NOT put out 40 ft lbs of torque not even close! then theres the cooling issue that motor is meant to be submerged when run under load!Next is the rpm very low from 1400-2200 rpm depending on voltage and being an electric motor is meant to run no lower than 20% from the free spin loaded!Witch means the gearing you've mentioned being 2.3 to 1 you'll be lucky if it even moves!You would need a 6 tooth on the motor and an 84 tooth on the wheel just to get close to being in the acceptable limit of load and that ratio is only 14.3 to one and you will do 5.8 mph at full throttle and still be working it hard like that!If you ran that motor at 24v and 25 amps then you would have 600 watts and make more sence but that controller will not handel 25 amps continuous nor will the motor in the air!
I dont think I ever equated thrust to torque, if something I posted gives that impression, my bad. Not sure if you have tested this but in my head, and that's not saying much, if I use the pedals to get started which is where you require the most torque (and yes inclines too), how much torque is required to sustain 20mph? which is an admittedly aggressive goal. I guess that would be something worth searching. even if it burns up and peaks at 6MPH, I'll still be all in for around $45 and a case of beer. Plus I'll video the ride and see how funny it comes out.

This is WAAAY off topic for me because I must be honest and say I have little experience in this area but know enough to say I have never seen any electric motor I felt IMO delivered the power nor long range freedom of an internal combustion engine for practical bicycle use .... I'd sure like to hear opinions from people who have experimented with electric power and get input from anybody who might have tried the following :

I outfitted my boat with a new Minnkota 80 pound Auto Pilot trolling motor and the older 40 pound thrust motor has been sitting unused. Fooling with it yesterday has really convinced me that converting a 40 pound thrust trolling motor to a bike engine has worlds of possibilities for reasons I have always taken for granted in using them on my boat, but never considered the same features that make them work so well for pullling craft would surely be the same on land with such a light load as a bicycle.

None of the points following are anything new to serious trolling motor fishermen but others might not be familier with how strong a trolling motor actually is ....

1. A BASIC 40 pound thrust trolling motor costs about $250,used ones are on Ebay a lot too.

2. 40 pound thrust (AS AN EXAMPLE) can move my 20 foot bowrider from dead stop with enough thrust to make you lurch back a bit if your not prepared,just to give you an idea of the load pulling capability.Were talking about 2500 lbs of mass in this case.

3. Most interesting however, is run time from a 12 volt battery .... Any average 40 pound thrust troller will let you pull at full power (another plus,power is infinitely adjustable ) for AT MINIMUM in my 20 years of troller experience, about 4 hours and that's in the WORST possible scenerio ie,headwinds, fast water, lots of speed changing.

In normal scenerios, with the battery saver circuitry that all the big trolling motor companys tout, 8 full hours from a full sized marine battery is not unheard of. 6 is absolutely common I do it all the time.

4. Motors are already rigged to reverse (just for giggles)
5.Propeller removes in 4 seconds,welding on a standard chain sprocket is a no brainer
6.Fully waterproof of course
7.sleek bullet housing would accept a variety of mounting tecniques,and the shape readily suggests mounting directly behind the seat over the hub with the battery occupying the normal place we put our chinese motor.

8. Biggest problem is of course the size of a marine trolling motor battery or any large sized auto battery. Enen low on the frame we are talking a lot of weight. Anyway, has anyone ever messed around with a trolling motor for this purpose ?

I did this and ended up here looking for a solution. I have a mercury "thruster" that i set up and has two forward, off(neutral) and two reverse speeds. When i test ran it every thing worked fine. forward was spinning forward, reverse was spinning reverse. Fast forward, everythings hooked up to the bicycle and aligned for testing and a 12v deep cycle hanging from the main bar via zip ties(industrial). Now the motor spins in reverse (free wheels the gears backwards) and forward speeds now spin the pedals/crank backwards along with the gears. any ideas on how to fix the current flow?

any ideas on how to fix the current flow?
Yes, it is an E-bike controller, it controls direction and speed for a E-bike motor and they start at 24V because 12V just won't do the job.

2_OrangeCrushDoneR-1280[1].jpg

2_OrangeCrushDoneL1280[1].jpg

This ladies 24" 3-speed electric shifter is for the height challenged among us.
The top of the seat is only 28 inches tall.

The 48V battery has a keylock to turn the battery on and off, it also controls the lock or release of the battery from the rack.

The electric motor uses the 3-speed shifting pedal system and can do 30+ MPH.
It also has the advantage of being allowed on the light rail and buses.

A powerful little package with throttle control.
I have 14 E-builds here http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=Electric&shifter=All

I hope that helps get you off on the right foot.

Yes, it is an E-bike controller, it controls direction and speed for a E-bike motor and they start at 24V because 12V just won't do the job.

View attachment 83024

View attachment 83025

This ladies 24" 3-speed electric shifter is for the height challenged among us.
The top of the seat is only 28 inches tall.

The 48V battery has a keylock to turn the battery on and off, it also controls the lock or release of the battery from the rack.

The electric motor uses the 3-speed shifting pedal system and can do 30+ MPH.
It also has the advantage of being allowed on the light rail and buses.

A powerful little package with throttle control.
I have 14 E-builds here http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=Electric&shifter=All

I hope that helps get you off on the right foot.
I think you're stuck in advertisement mode, he was speaking of an actual trolling motor for a small boat, running a DC 12v motor, he just linked it to the drivetrain.

The sarcasm is futile, time to assimilate some new ideas.. Actually old ones, people been diy'ing trolling motors onto things for a long time, they provide excellent power for what's rather minimal in terms of expenses and actually a pretty small power supply and drive unit, not to mention sometimes that's all that a person actually needs.

Thx tho:rolleyes:

I am curious what if the said bicycle was a quadricycle with a belt drive and a thrilling motor head on "dash" next to steering wheel with handle facing you and the motor is behind the seat. I mention this because I am making a quadricycle from blueprints I got when I was i n boyscouts 20 plus years ago and I wanna build a small camper trailer out of canvas and travel with it while using solar and pedal+alternator to recharge the batteries 1 for motor 1 for accessories. Hit me up on email oldfartpappy@gmail titled quadricycle and I'd like to get in touch with so.eone and change the future of travel.

Yes, that's what I would have to do .... this seems like it would be a fun time killer of a build ... I'd actually like to do it on a 24 inch bike .... hEH ! gotta think about all this before destroying my trolling motor ..
So good to see this thread still alive

This was my attempt at using a 50lbs thrust trolling motor. Only issue I have is finding the right gear ratio to give a little or ,any torque for that mater, right now on flat ground ,with a couple foot pushes and on speed 5, I got slightly scared on how fast I was getting and had to let off when it felt as I was goin close to 40-45 and increasing. When I finally stoped to turn around it was a ever so slight incline on the way back thus didn’t want to go at all. Still playing with the gearing but I’m sure I’ll get it figured out eventually. Just wanted t share.

Attachments

• 7A54F1B7-89DF-4EF9-BD70-4EAAAEBBBE4D.jpeg
    7A54F1B7-89DF-4EF9-BD70-4EAAAEBBBE4D.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 316
This was my attempt at using a 50lbs thrust trolling motor. Only issue I have is finding the right gear ratio to give a little or ,any torque for that mater, right now on flat ground ,with a couple foot pushes and on speed 5, I got slightly scared on how fast I was getting and had to let off when it felt as I was goin close to 40-45 and increasing. When I finally stoped to turn around it was a ever so slight incline on the way back thus didn’t want to go at all. Still playing with the gearing but I’m sure I’ll get it figured out eventually. Just wanted t share.
sounds like you need to at-least double the size of your rear sprocket, if your speed estimate is accurate. most areas you want to be maxed out around 35 (unless you're specifically going for top speed), and if you still had room under your heel at 45, you've got Rip'ems to spare but you need to convert that to torque

Trolling Motor I put one on my Fishing Kayak saltwater Minn Kota 45 Lb thrust
Works great I use a Gel battery and stay out on the Ocean for 6 Hrs
Lot's of good fishing here in So Cal. I like to chase the Calico Sea Bass.
Just some pictures to give an idea of what can be done with a Trolling motor
Love to see one on a bike. ALOHA

Attachments

• DSCF9389.JPG
    DSCF9389.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCF9390.JPG
    DSCF9390.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCF9391.JPG
    DSCF9391.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 403
  • DSCF9393.JPG
    DSCF9393.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 340
  • DSCF9394.JPG
    DSCF9394.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCF9395.JPG
    DSCF9395.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCF5780.JPG
    DSCF5780.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCF5818.JPG
    DSCF5818.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 358
  • DSCF3502.JPG
    DSCF3502.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
This is WAAAY off topic for me because I must be honest and say I have little experience in this area but know enough to say I have never seen any electric motor I felt IMO delivered the power nor long range freedom of an internal combustion engine for practical bicycle use .... I'd sure like to hear opinions from people who have experimented with electric power and get input from anybody who might have tried the following :

I outfitted my boat with a new Minnkota 80 pound Auto Pilot trolling motor and the older 40 pound thrust motor has been sitting unused. Fooling with it yesterday has really convinced me that converting a 40 pound thrust trolling motor to a bike engine has worlds of possibilities for reasons I have always taken for granted in using them on my boat, but never considered the same features that make them work so well for pullling craft would surely be the same on land with such a light load as a bicycle.

None of the points following are anything new to serious trolling motor fishermen but others might not be familier with how strong a trolling motor actually is ....

1. A BASIC 40 pound thrust trolling motor costs about $250,used ones are on Ebay a lot too.

2. 40 pound thrust (AS AN EXAMPLE) can move my 20 foot bowrider from dead stop with enough thrust to make you lurch back a bit if your not prepared,just to give you an idea of the load pulling capability.Were talking about 2500 lbs of mass in this case.

3. Most interesting however, is run time from a 12 volt battery .... Any average 40 pound thrust troller will let you pull at full power (another plus,power is infinitely adjustable ) for AT MINIMUM in my 20 years of troller experience, about 4 hours and that's in the WORST possible scenerio ie,headwinds, fast water, lots of speed changing.

In normal scenerios, with the battery saver circuitry that all the big trolling motor companys tout, 8 full hours from a full sized marine battery is not unheard of. 6 is absolutely common I do it all the time.

4. Motors are already rigged to reverse (just for giggles)
5.Propeller removes in 4 seconds,welding on a standard chain sprocket is a no brainer
6.Fully waterproof of course
7.sleek bullet housing would accept a variety of mounting tecniques,and the shape readily suggests mounting directly behind the seat over the hub with the battery occupying the normal place we put our chinese motor.

8. Biggest problem is of course the size of a marine trolling motor battery or any large sized auto battery. Enen low on the frame we are talking a lot of weight. Anyway, has anyone ever messed around with a trolling motor for this purpose ?
Just take the prop off put on a little wheel and do friction drive over the back wheel. The throttle can be up near the handlebars. Battery on a rack on front or back or suspended low in the frame?

Back