Trying to build an ebike out of my chopper, but it has to adhere to the strict regulations in my region

Ah, and what about Delta? Same as the rest of Vancouver?
Depends on the area down there in the lower mainland. It is very different city to city. I won't comment on it much more because I don't want to offend anyone. Let's just say the smaller towns are great and the larger cities are nice too but the people just aren't the same

Depends on the area down there in the lower mainland. It is very different city to city. I won't comment on it much more because I don't want to offend anyone. Let's just say the smaller towns are great and the larger cities are nice too but the people just aren't the same
Sounds typical, works the same around here. I'll say this though, she's close to the city limits, close to a water source too. Plenty privacy and plenty critters, I can't wait to visit

I understand the want for a quite ride especially in your situation, but I personally like a louder ride. I cut the tube out of my muffler and I like the sound it has
I modded my muffler because it killed the power. The first glass pack mod was great but didn't last long until it was loud again. My last mod is working great. Just opened up the internals and added a larger secondary pipe, seems to have just the right amount of back pressure to really increase torque.

Well, I think I found an ebike with parts that could be compatible, one option might be to buy replacement parts for the bike online, but there are still 4 things that concern me. Here, this is from the highway traffic act in my area:

"power-assisted bicycle" means a vehicle that

(a) has a handlebar for steering and pedals,

(b) is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground,

(c) can be propelled by muscle power applied to the pedals,

(d) has an electric motor but no other type of motor,

(i) the motor has a continuous power output rating, measured at its shaft, of 500 W or less,

(ii) if engaged by the driver applying muscle power to the pedals, the motor immediately stops providing the vehicle with motive power when the driver stops applying muscle power,

(iii) if engaged by a throttle, the motor immediately stops providing the vehicle with motive power when the driver activates a brake, and

(iv) the motor cannot provide the vehicle with motive power when it is travelling at more than 32 km/h, and

(e) [repealed] S.M. 2021, c. 30, s. 16,

(f) has either

(i) a mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that can be operated by the driver, and if the vehicle has a throttle, or is separate from the throttle,

(ii) a mechanism that prevents the motor from engaging until the vehicle is travelling at 3 km/h or more; (« bicyclette assistée »)

Things I don't know:

If engaged by the driver applying muscle power to the pedals, does the motor immediately stop providing the vehicle with motive power when the driver stops applying muscle power?
If engaged by a throttle, does the motor immediately stop providing the vehicle with motive power when the driver activates a brake?
Does the vehicle have a mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that can be operated by the driver? (I could probably fashion something for that)
Does the vehicle have a mechanism that prevents the motor from engaging until the vehicle is travelling at 3 km/h or more?

Since this is an ebike forum, perhaps someone here can cross a few of these questions off my list? I have an amazon link here showing the bike with the engine in question:

If you are in the lower mainland you may get in trouble with a gas bike. In the country don't worry too much.

All those new ebike rules mean more than half of the ebikes on the road now are not following the shiny new rules and should be removed. Really? The police have way too much to do as it is than to chase some half baked rules.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I was just in the Big Smoke (Vancouver) for a Friday night concert and back on Saturday. I find Vancouver quite a friendly place with reasonably polite drivers compared to LA or Chicago, I guess it is just so much smaller makes it that way.

My small town has grown so much with the influx of big city people from Ontario with their big city attitudes who have kind of trashed the place I'm sorry to say.
A lot of the drivers don't signal, don't let you in and don't give you a wave of thanks when you let them in, then they have the audacity to cut you off, I may as well be in the big city sometimes. Rant over. Lol.

My small town has grown so much with the influx of big city people...with their big city attitudes...A lot of the drivers don't signal, don't let you in and don't give you a wave of thanks when you let them in, then they have the audacity to cut you off, I may as well be in the big city sometimes.
YEP, They call them American tourists...lol...lol.

If you are in the lower mainland you may get in trouble with a gas bike. In the country don't worry too much.

All those new ebike rules mean more than half of the ebikes on the road now are not following the shiny new rules and should be removed. Really? The police have way too much to do as it is than to chase some half baked rules.
Fine, good point. f***, I might as well just get the most powerful engine then. Still, that presents a new problem, though it could be fun to solve from an engineers point of view. The new challenge would be to prevent the bike from rattling itself apart at high speeds lmao. For example, you know the bottom section of the two right angle brackets that hold that metal part over top of the front tire... Well, each of them have only a single screw on the bottom. Any chopper owner should AUTOMATICALLY understand the annoying implications of that, even without adding an engine. Hell, any engineer would, and so I say shame on the inventor who thought that was a good idea. I like to build things in my spare time, and I have little patience for bad programming and/or bad designs. There should be a minimum of 2 screws, top and bottom, and I would use Robinson screws, Phillips are useless. And construction grade too, zinc alloy, and galvanized. It's just common sense.

If I do go about it this way I would hardly need help, it already sounds like a fun project, and as a matter of fact, I have someone in mind who does custom smelting, just backyard smelting but he's damn good at it and I have a variety of tools for grinding and whatnot, the entire mastercraft kit, mini, fullsize and the expansion kit, so basically I have everything I need to shape most any material including steel. Whatever I do, I'll provide him the dimensions so he can build for me a container sized for my engine mounts, just under the top bar, She's gonna be a beauty :D though tbh she already is. Rare is the bike that has built-in engine mounts, but this is also half the weight of a standard chopper! I wish I knew more about where it came from, I got it on Kijiji. Pics on page 1.

Sounds typical, works the same around here. I'll say this though, she's close to the city limits, close to a water source too. Plenty privacy and plenty critters, I can't wait to visit
My best friend moved to Vancouver and he would never move back to the country. He loves it. Unfortunately for me the rude people and the ungodly cost to live there make it the last place in BC I would ever consider moving to
Fine, good point. f***, I might as well just get the most powerful engine then. Still, that presents a new problem, though it could be fun to solve from an engineers point of view. The new challenge would be to prevent the bike from rattling itself apart at high speeds lmao. For example, you know the bottom section of the two right angle brackets that hold that metal part over top of the front tire... Well, each of them have only a single screw on the bottom. Any chopper owner should AUTOMATICALLY understand the annoying implications of that, even without adding an engine. Hell, any engineer would, and so I say shame on the inventor who thought that was a good idea. I like to build things in my spare time, and I have little patience for bad programming and/or bad designs. There should be a minimum of 2 screws, top and bottom, and I would use Robinson screws, Phillips are useless. And construction grade too, zinc alloy, and galvanized. It's just common sense.

If I do go about it this way I would hardly need help, it already sounds like a fun project, and as a matter of fact, I have someone in mind who does custom smelting, just backyard smelting but he's damn good at it and I have a variety of tools for grinding and whatnot, the entire mastercraft kit, mini, fullsize and the expansion kit, so basically I have everything I need to shape most any material including steel. Whatever I do, I'll provide him the dimensions so he can build for me a container sized for my engine mounts, just under the top bar, She's gonna be a beauty :D though tbh she already is. Rare is the bike that has built-in engine mounts, but this is also half the weight of a standard chopper! I wish I knew more about where it came from, I got it on Kijiji. Pics on page 1.
Us Canadians really understand the Robert's vs Phillip's debate. I still don't understand why anyone uses a Phillip's screw but half the screws I see at work are still Phillip's and pretty much everything from China is Phillip's. They just strip so easy and they also break drivers way easier too 🤦‍♂️

Back