Electric conversion ideas

Just further reasons why I will NEVER, EVER, have an "E" vehicle of any sort until the safety factor of this technology catches up to NO FIRES from batteries etc.

The cost has to come down to something reasonable as well.
The No Fire Battery is already on the market
Each cell is encased in a resin so a run away fire can't happen
The battery weighs more and it costs more

Old style Rad Power Bikes 48v 14 AH battery for my Rover weighs 7 lbs and costs $499 - range 45 miles
The new No Fire Battery 48v 15 AH battery weighs 10 lbs and costs $599 - range 65 miles

I hear what you are saying about the illegality of them. As much as I like the renegade aspect of them, it secretly bugs me that they are illegal.

I've never been bothered by the law but I don't push my luck by flaunting it in town and I always peddle just for the look of it.

My brother in law showed up this afternoon with a brand new 2023 CFMoto Ibex 800 Touring. Lot of bike for the money. I know he would like me to buy one so he could have a solid riding buddy. I would love to have one but just can't justify that.

I've got a stable of gas bikes and that is going to have to due.

A ripping e bike would be cool, the cost is high but the law is lax. Saving the climate at the expense of China. Lol.
It’s not the fact that it’s illegal that bothers me, it’s that there sorta are places i can’t go, and I might be pushing it if i mod my moped to go 45…

Also isn’t chinas climate pretty much messed up anyway? lol

Just further reasons why I will NEVER, EVER, have an "E" vehicle of any sort until the safety factor of this technology catches up to NO FIRES from batteries etc.

The cost has to come down to something reasonable as well.
You're afraid of it, but if you read his post there is a great clue in to why.

"my cheap ass shipped illegally 18650 48v 20 ah battery from K battery (alibabba) caught fire in my garage, while charging. The timing was when it would have been full, so the assumption is that it overcharged, the assumption that the bms let it over charge a string."

Battery fires only happen from one of 3 things. Damage to the cells in the battery or the casing that causes them to short, Over charging like what happened above due to sub-par components sold through Fly by night shady companies selling cheap components as legit ones for quick profit, or over-discharging due to cheap cells not rated for the discharge rate or using a motor and controller allowing it to discharge over the batteries rated capacity.

As an example, my Heybike's 48V 20ah battery only has a maximum discharge rate of 25A. There are other 48V 20ah batteries that can handle twice that. Put mine on a bike that can pull 40 amps, bypass the BMS or other safety mechanisms, and it will overheat and catch fire in short order.

That's why I'm very cautious of "high capacity" cells, usually they are just over-rated, other times they have pathetic discharge rates.

I used to vape, getting a single legitimate 18650 cell is a PITA.

If I ever wanted to get into e-power, I'd use cells from a brand name garden tool lineup.

That's why I'm very cautious of "high capacity" cells, usually they are just over-rated, other times they have pathetic discharge rates.

I used to vape, getting a single legitimate 18650 cell is a PITA.

If I ever wanted to get into e-power, I'd use cells from a brand name garden tool lineup.
I don't trust myself to make my own battery, especially since I live at my parent's house...

Electric is like black magic to me; 2 strokes just make sense.

I don't trust myself to make my own battery, especially since I live at my parent's house...

Electric is like black magic to me; 2 strokes just make sense.
Electric is super easy, but it can go really wrong, really fast, lithium (especially Li-po) runs away very quickly as it welds itself together, once it starts smoking, it's too late, step back and watch the fireworks.

I've had a ton of experience when I used to race R/C cars and drones and a bit working on electric fork lifts and material karts.

8HP from a motor that fits in the palm of your hand (for about 6-20 minutes) is crazy.

Electric is super easy, but it can go really wrong, really fast, lithium (especially Li-po) runs away very quickly as it welds itself together, once it starts smoking, it's too late, step back and watch the fireworks.
Hence I will remove the battery when charging/ whenever I'm not riding.

I'm not sure what the donor bike will be yet...hmm...I'd like something that would handle 2 up riding (tho I'm single, lol), it should be light but sturdy (for riding trails) , with a steel frame and good wheels and it's gotta have pedals.

So I'm looking at vintage mopeds

That has respectable specs

Alright, budget has been decided. $2000, with very slight flexibility.

I'm going with 5kw, 72v. 10/50 gearing for an on paper speed of around 47 mph, hopefully 45 in the real world.

Like I said bike will be an old moped. Suspension upgraded, 3" tires shoehorned in.

I'm excited. Except for the money part lol

Alright, budget has been decided. $2000, with very slight flexibility.

I'm going with 5kw, 72v. 10/50 gearing for an on paper speed of around 47 mph, hopefully 45 in the real world.

Like I said bike will be an old moped. Suspension upgraded, 3" tires shoehorned in.

I'm excited. Except for the money part lol
Come on now, we all know ya got the bucks...Scrooge...lol...lol.

Back