Importance Of Fresh Good Gas !

I've had the same problems as those mentioned here. I drain the tanks of my small engines in the fall and run them dry. I still have problems in the Spring and often have to go through the carbs and replace fuel lines. Until.

....100LL....

__

Last edited:
From my experience on the water with Startron, it not only fixes ethanol problems but also cleans out the entire assembly including the carb, ports, piston, muffler, etc, and unlike other additives it removes deposits slowly rather than a really harsh detergent that can loosen huge chunks which can jam things up

Here's what I do know about ethanol's damaging properties.
It attacks and breaks down most rubber fuel lines, o-rings, and seals that are commonly used these days. A fuel line gone bad will introduce a fine black sand looking substance into the carburetor. A rubber tip on a float needle will swell up to twice it's origional size, upsetting the float height setting, restricting fuel flow past it, and becoming soft and tearing easily.
Any o-rings or seals will swell up too, no longer fitting into thier intented space as designed. This will cause air or fuel leaks.
Almost all fuel tank liners are succeptable to attack too. The liner resists gas, not alcohol blends.
It digests aluminum, having a near acidic effect as it pits and corrodes the exposed surfaces. It also attacks brass, giving it a green coating caused by the corrosion, although it erodes at a much slower rate than aluminum.
Overall it seems that ethanol is not compatible with carbureted engines what-so-ever.
New fuel injected engines utilise alot of stainless steel and new formulated rubber and plastic components in their fuel delivery systems that are compatible with E10 and E85.
Perhaps the ethanol blends have a side effect of rendering all carbureted engines obsolete due to incompatibility?
A way to force the general public into "more efficient" or "environmentally friendly emmissions" vehicles?

Back