Chain tensioner self destructed! Was GARBAGE quality to begin with...

Go to Staton Inc. However, I recommend a tensioner sprocket instead of a tensioner roller. I use a tensioner sprocket on my bike.

Staton Inc http://www.staton-inc.com/store/
When I used to run a tensioner years ago, my roller assembly just exploded all over the place, thats when I decided to reconfigure things to run it without a tensioner ever again...lol.

When I used to run a tensioner years ago, my roller assembly just exploded all over the place, thats when I decided to reconfigure things to run it without a tensioner ever again...lol.
Mine isn't truly a tensioner sprocket but rather helps the drive sprocket engage an extra tooth into the chain.

The Skateboard roller as an idler is a good idea. They are usually much wider and built out of some pretty tough materials.. They also tend to come with double roller bearings to be able to support higher loads.

An Alternative option would be to ditch the cheap plastic wheels and go with an actual idler sprocket. You would have to build an appropriate spacer to set alignment, but this would allow better control over the chain, and thus allow for a looser tension to be run.
Examples:
This is the type often used on spring tensioners, but there is no reason it can't also be used in a fixed application.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The Skateboard roller as an idler is a good idea. They are usually much wider and built out of some pretty tough materials.. They also tend to come with double roller bearings to be able to support higher loads.

An Alternative option would be to ditch the cheap plastic wheels and go with an actual idler sprocket. You would have to build an appropriate spacer to set alignment, but this would allow better control over the chain, and thus allow for a looser tension to be run.
Examples:
This is the type often used on spring tensioners, but there is no reason it can't also be used in a fixed application.

That's the exact sprocket I have on my bike in a fixed position.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The best remedy for the garbage pully I've seen was a skateboard wheel. You might be able to find a better idler pully. I don't know where to find one.
So this is basically what you suggest, but yet specifically for bikes with engines?

Easy Racer Chain Roller Guide

roller_guide-_1_500x.jpg

So this is basically what you suggest, but yet specifically for bikes with engines?

Easy Racer Chain Roller Guide

roller_guide-_1_500x.jpg
May work decent but still won't be as good as using a tensioner sprocket setup. All he needs is the sprocket which will be cheaper than buying it the Easy Racer. You'll eventually wear out the ER long before you'll wear out a tensioner sprocket.

20230903_185721.jpg
20230903_185646.jpg

@markjs - Would you ever consider not running a tensioner?

I don't run one. I understand some frames won't allow it. All it needs is a link reduction, lift the rear up slightly and use a half-link. At the end of the day if the tensioner breaks, there is a high probability the slack will cause it to get jammed in the case and who knows how the story will end. The alt. is the chain goes around the sprocket into the spokes. I've had both happen and neither are good.

Back