a crazy, but possibly useful idea.

Especially when the "Electric" revolution solution is breaking down around everyones ears including the 100,000 dollar Tesla trucks.

They are breaking down with owners reporting total failure rates between 1 mile to 15 miles or so...lol.

It's already shaped like a coffin, for easier burial.

I just don't know why you'd buy that ugly thing.

There are some great electric bolt on kits available, if you are willing to pay up.

The level of complexity under the hood so to speak will be the downfall of some of these. I see the super ebikes for sale at less than 1/3 or 1/4 price of new, I don't think anyone wants them because of the replacement battery cost and the specific controller failing.

Looks like a lot of people bought these for 6k plus and can't get 2k a couple years later.

There are some great electric bolt on kits available, if you are willing to pay up.

The level of complexity under the hood so to speak will be the downfall of some of these. I see the super ebikes for sale at less than 1/3 or 1/4 price of new, I don't think anyone wants them because of the replacement battery cost and the specific controller failing.

Looks like a lot of people bought these for 6k plus and can't get 2k a couple years later.
Range anxiety is very real, I had an EV and nothing is worse than forgetting to charge and you have an unexpected trip to make.

A motorcycle should feel freeing and boundless, an EV wrecks that with range anxiety.

Plus making an almost invisible vehicle silent is a bad combo

I called the fire station to report my house was on fire

The fireman said they would be there as soon as their firetruck finished charging up

With a hybrid you don't need to output enough power to cover peak load on the electric motor, just the average load. A small battery can easily cover the peak and because charging is onboard you can keep the battery in its happy range for long term life.

Lets says a motor with a max power output of 2000 watt is used but it only averages a 600 watt load. You only need to cover that 600 watts from the generator. That's less than a whole horsepower. Assuming a pessimistic efficiency of 50% from mechanical to electrical, a gx50 or a little zenoah 43cc 2 stroke could handle that.

Because the battery only needs to cover a high draw for a small period, a smaller battery than a full electric can be used.

The rub is getting all these different systems to play nice without costing a large fortune. In the year 2000, a prius cost 6000 more usd than a corolla. You'd easily save more that that on gas, but still, that's a big chunk of change.

With a hybrid you don't need to output enough power to cover peak load on the electric motor, just the average load. A small battery can easily cover the peak and because charging is onboard you can keep the battery in its happy range for long term life.

Lets says a motor with a max power output of 2000 watt is used but it only averages a 600 watt load. You only need to cover that 600 watts from the generator. That's less than a whole horsepower. Assuming a pessimistic efficiency of 50% from mechanical to electrical, a gx50 or a little zenoah 43cc 2 stroke could handle that.

Because the battery only needs to cover a high draw for a small period, a smaller battery than a full electric can be used.

The rub is getting all these different systems to play nice without costing a large fortune. In the year 2000, a prius cost 6000 more usd than a corolla. You'd easily save more that that on gas, but still, that's a big chunk of change.
The Geo metro was more efficient if I remember correctly.

The main advantage like you said is not needing a $400 battery, but, you're going to need probably $300 to do that.

The real value is the challenge/fun of accomplishing this.

Prius had better in town mileage, and had a better performance. Now, no one is buying a geo metro or a prius for the 0 to 60 times but in my mind, the corolla is the actual apple to apple comparison.

On a motorized bike: to me a good reason to go hybrid is if you want the pedal assist system, and even then that can be done by adapting ebike pedal assist to a gas engine. All it requires is an RC servo, an arduino, some way of measuring rider input and some basic programming.

I'm a controls technician so this seems easy to me but, many different ways to make the engine work with a rider:

Cheapest is to measure rider cadence and engine speed, then set the engine speed just below it so as to not overrun the rider. Lots of ghost pedaling in that system and it works best on single speed bikes.

Could measure rider torque and use a PID loop to keep the rider in a desired range of effort.

Anyhow, to get the 220 VAC to a more useful DC voltage, rectify it, then use a solar charge controller to drop it down. Most solar arrays put out 100-150 VDC and it gets dropped down to the charging voltage for anything from 12-48 VDC.

Rectifying 220VAC will get it down to 140 VDC, which is in the range used by many solar charge controllers.

Was watching Chris Rather B Welding and got curious if anyone had made a hybrid dirt bike and low an behold there is one.

It is possible, just not economical.

Back