a crazy, but possibly useful idea.

A transformer does what you want: less volts and more amps but its for ac and incredibly heavy. Like 40 lbs for a 1kva transformer. 2 truck alternators with the outputs in series would get you 48v dc.

If you just want to twist and go, its cheapest and simplest to directly power the wheel.

thanks for the replies, the parts availability is not great in the UK, if I were to go petrol electric, with no battery, the solutions would be expensive and heavy, even the alternators, while its a great idea, don't really work because trucks in the UK at 12 volts and I'm looking for at least 48 for a decent 850 watt motor. I'm going to move on to some belt drive ideas, and I have a few issues that need resolving, so I'll add a new thread.

thanks for the replies, the parts availability is not great in the UK, if I were to go petrol electric, with no battery, the solutions would be expensive and heavy, even the alternators, while its a great idea, don't really work because trucks in the UK at 12 volts and I'm looking for at least 48 for a decent 850 watt motor. I'm going to move on to some belt drive ideas, and I have a few issues that need resolving, so I'll add a new thread.
Most vehicles in the US are 12V.

But there are certain trucks and machines that are 24V.

eBay is probably your best bet.

That said, linking the wheel to the engine mechanically is going to be the best bet.

The problem with belt drive is it requires tension to work properly, so the bearings must be up to the task.

It would need to be a fan cooled engine running at full crack- and thats going to be loud.

The most cost effective, compact way of doing this is getting 24V alternators with V-belts and are self-exciting.

A single 24V alternator can provide 1000W at about 26V for about $90 (71GBP)
Hard to try and re-invent the wheel.
As many have discovered the simplest method is the best. To add complexity to the simple idea of adding motive power to a bike just doesn't work that well.
Sorry to be Debbi downer but it is the harshness of reality.

Hard to try and re-invent the wheel.
As many have discovered the simplest method is the best. To add complexity to the simple idea of adding motive power to a bike just doesn't work that well.
Sorry to be Debbi downer but it is the harshness of reality.
True

For instance today a random guy on an electric dirt bike chose to race me today to 45mph, and I beat him by a bike length even as a fatass, we talked afterwards, turns out he's prototyping the bike $6,000 is the target MSRP, I told him what I got into mine (about $1200) he laughed about how inexpensive it was in comparison.

While it was impressive, the cost of going electric is almost never cost effective.

While it was impressive, the cost of going electric is almost never cost effective.
Especially when the "Electric" revolution solution is breaking down around everyones ears including the 100,000 dollar Tesla trucks.

They are breaking down with owners reporting total failure rates between 1 mile to 15 miles or so...lol.

Back