Chain tensioner self destructed! Was GARBAGE quality to begin with...

markjs

Local time
3:36 AM
So the bearing totally fell out, and that wheel was loosely flopping around on just the remaining post. I'm lucky I didn't have a catastrophe.

It's a cheap awful POS part if the wheel bearing inside the spinning part just can fall out. I ordered probably the same cheap POS again, so I expect it to last no more than a few weeks total.. Problem is, none of the ones I have found look any better in quality? Even the "arch" type which cost twice as much, seem to have the same cheap wheel and bearing (from visual clues at least). This really angers me big time, how garbage the part was....

Is there one someone can recommend that won't simply fall apart? I also bought a chain breaker may be big enough to work with my chain, and I may be able to eliminate it, but I can't count on that.

Looks to me like I used to have a bearing held in a C clip that did not hold. I expect it's replacement to be as big a POS or worse, but I don't need my only powered transpo down too long, so I had to let Amazon rip me off no doubt, because the alternative is no riding it.

Does anyone know of a specific one worth getting, that you have actual experience with?

My bike is down until then which sucks cuz I had places to go today. Have to wait till tomorrow for the $12 garbage piece of crap, which will likely only buy me a few more days of riding, if I can't shorten the chain.

Maybe someone knows of some stronger replacement pulleys? In any case I sure am dreading finding what I ordered is the same junk that already fell apart.

The best remedy for the garbage pully I've seen was a skateboard wheel. You might be able to find a better idler pully. I don't know where to find one.

The best remedy for the garbage pully I've seen was a skateboard wheel. You might be able to find a better idler pully. I don't know where to find one.
Maybe the hardware store would have just skateboard wheels. Lots of skate boarders in town, but the thrift store is really really bad here. I hardly ever go, and when I do nearly always regret it.

Shortening the chain would be great if that works. Chain breaker comes tomorrow too. I know for sure I can take out one link and still fit, just don't know if it will be enough. I didn't buy anything fancy, but if it can press in and out the rivets, at least I can give it a try.

Shortening the chain would be great if that works. Chain breaker comes tomorrow too. I know for sure I can take out one link and still fit, just don't know if it will be enough. I didn't buy anything fancy, but if it can press in and out the rivets, at least I can give it a try.
People here have managed to eliminate the tensioner by properly adjusting the chain. You need to have horizontal rear clips like a motorcycle or be able to move the motor fore and aft.

On mine I have neither so I am using the tensioner with the four bolts to attach it to the chain stay. I have had no problems with it after about 150 miles or so. Like I have said, you gets what you gets with this stuff.

I really have to caution on having the chain too tight, this can cause undue stress on the bearings, the sprocket to hub attachment and the chain it self.

One more thing, you don't need a chain breaker. Just grind the pins off, hit it a couple time with a small pin punch and it comes apart.

I really have to caution on having the chain too tight, this can cause undue stress on the bearings, the sprocket to hub attachment and the chain it self.
Very true.

People here have managed to eliminate the tensioner by properly adjusting the chain.
YEP...I'm one of those people...lol.

One more thing, you don't need a chain breaker. Just grind the pins off, hit it a couple time with a small pin punch and it comes apart.
Thats how I do mine...Added bonus is it is much less strain on the chain than using a chain breaking tool.

Well, no cutting links out, or I'd have never got the chain on. Probably my only way to get it to work without one would be to swap my 41 tooth for a 44.

The new tensioner has an Allen bolt instead of a straight head slot on the outside. Hopefully will last longer, but I have my doubts.

Back