Using stock rear wheel while waiting on mags.

Al Regresar

Local time
2:28 AM
Dilemma: I have a mongoose sycamore mb that someone was throwing away. I ordered some tri-spoke mags but they won’t arrive until the end of July. I also ordered a phantom 85 that will be here in a couple days.

Could I use the rear wheel temporarily with a hub adapter or disk brake mount for the sprocket?

You can, a lot of people don’t like the standard rag joint but it will work. I’ve installed and used several kits as they come, all have worked well.

Don’t overthink it, I would try what comes in the kit first, if it works till you get the wheels you’ll save money, if it doesn’t you’ll know what to buy to used temporary.

You can, a lot of people don’t like the standard rag joint but it will work. I’ve installed and used several kits as they come, all have worked well.
I set a rag joint for a neighborhood kid a day ago. He is on a very limited budget. Trued the rim and got the sprocket fairly close in just a few minutes. It all wiggled like a snake when he handed it to me. The chain wouldn't stay on pushing the bike the way it got here.

It took about 15-20 minutes to get it all close enough to use.

Right or wrong...I finished the build and he's rolling with huge smile on his face.

When I did my first build, I went straight to a hub adapter. Seeing how easy the rag joint install goes and how well it works I regret not using it on my bike to start.

The rag joint uses nyloc nuts. I still used a lot of blue thread lock and let it set before I put it in service. You cannot over tighten the rag joint bolts.

Edit: It is advisable to use a truing stand when setting these joints up. You have to spin the wheel to see what you have instead of bolting up and leaving it to chance.

I don't know how but when I swapped my rag joint onto the new wheel when rebuilding my bike I got away with rattling down the stock hardware with my impact. I figured I'd just get them snug send hand tighten them to where I wanted them, but I decided to try rattling one down and it didn't brake, so I did it on all

Dilemma: I have a mongoose sycamore mb that someone was throwing away. I ordered some tri-spoke mags but they won’t arrive until the end of July. I also ordered a phantom 85 that will be here in a couple days.

Could I use the rear wheel temporarily with a hub adapter or disk brake mount for the sprocket?
Here are the instructions I use whenever doing a rag joint on spoked rims, I followed the instructions every time exactly as written and has worked evertime, first time out of the chute.

Screenshot_2023-06-24_09-36-03.png

Screenshot_2023-06-24_09-36-19.png

You probably should get new nuts and bolts for the rag joint. Both kits I have the rag joint bolts stripped out very easily. On my first build I went to the hardware store and got better hardware and the rag joint is holding up strong

You probably should get new nuts and bolts for the rag joint. Both kits I have the rag joint bolts stripped out very easily. On my first build I went to the hardware store and got better hardware and the rag joint is holding up strong
Am I the only one that has successfully tightened those bolts with an impact?

He is only using it until his mag rims arrive on the first so it is gonna be very temporary, it should be ok for the short time it will be on there.

Back