Safety Safety & Maintainence Tips from MB.c's Members

i just got a horn. it's a 115 decibel rechargeable air zound. it's funny how horns are rarely used before a crash but only after near crashes. i surprised myself when i came across a couple walking in the bike lane and i didn't blast them with my horn. there is a guy in town that mounted a train horn on his bike, so i've heard.

I've thought about getting that horn.
The temptation to be a grown up brat has kept me from getting one because I know I'll only intentionally irritate all the people who irritate me..
Then they'll probably run me over on purpose

TIM

I have that air zound horn and it's too loud for "my ears", so I use it sparingly, and I never give it a full blast, more of a quick thaaat. a/c man is probably right annoy them too much and things might happen.

What's dangerous ? ... Rag Joints, Cheesy Idlers, Fuel Leaks, * Cars * , particulary if they are in motion, potholes, Newbee riders who get so wrapped up in riding they forget to look before they swerve around other dangers. Yes, danger exists, so does risk management, which is your best insurance. Only an idiotic pilot would take off without a through pre flight inspection, we need to protect ourselves by going over bike before and after every ride, and identifying trouble areas.

My Skyhawk developed an intresting problem, the screws that hold the [ Carb. ] Airhorn to float bowl loosened, spilling fuel on my leg during a sharp corner. I was going downhill, shut off fuel, coasted home, no problem.

I wish we had an organization similar to the S E M A [ Specialty Equipment Manufacturing Association ] { Automotive Speed Equipment } They have taken the Grim Reaper out of the Automotive Hobby, possibly, they can do the same for us.

I'd suggest re-tightening, and adding check nuts to exhaust studs after several short warm up, cool downs, metal takes a set after several heat ups / cool downs. Make sure your poo poo pipe is strapped to frame, to prevent lateral movement.

An idea to make tyres a lot more puncture proof, go to your local wrecking yard and get some seat belt webbing, run that around the inside of the tyre.

You may be on to something, that fabric is bulletproof. One point, make the seam long, and gradual, an abrupt seam may result in a cam like wheel, not good at speed. You could clamp the belt to tire, go around, mark true circumfrence, add fabric for seam, rough cut, than place fabric on wooden jig to cut seam flip belt over to cut other side. Practice on scraps to find best way to cut. A single edge razor blade box cutter would work well, change blades frequently. Good luck

Last edited:
Seat belts are made of woven fabric, nylon I think. The weaving will allow thorns, small brads/nails to slip through. I don't think it's worth the time and effort to use them. Bike shops sell a strip of mono-molded polyethelene in rolls that fits between the tire and the tube. it comes in several widths so should fit most tire sizes. It is very tough stuff and I had quite a time working a brad through it, I can see where it would stop almost anything sharp trying to flatten your tires.

Back