Latest build, learned from previous mistakes...

One quick comment, and let me disclaim that I mean this 100% respectfully, but when you say “making a thing that should not be”, I think you should do some research on the history of motorcycles/motorized bicycles. The first motorcycles were motorized bicycles, and the first vehicle to cross the continental United States was an MB. There were also whizzer motorized bicycles, which were kits you could install on a bike, and some were factory built, that looked a lot like a motorcycle. I myself am currently building a bike that will be designed, both performance wise and aesthetically, to be more like a light motorcycle than a bicycle, with a 212 and a torque converter (6hp engine and automatic variable speed transmission if you’re unfamiliar), with a long flat moped seat, motorcycle forks and club handlebars (upside down bars commonly seen on cafe racers). Of course, I digress a bit, but my point is that people have been marrying bicycles and engines for over 100 years, and motorcycles were the offspring of that marriage lol.

my point is that people have been marrying bicycles and engines for over 100 years, and motorcycles were the offspring of that marriage lol.
YEP, since 1868...155 years ago with a steam powered motor to start things off.

The first "motorised bicycles".

1280px-Michaux-Perreaux_steam_velocipède - 1868-
1280px-Michaux-Perreaux_steam_velocipède - 1868- .jpg

1280px-Daimler_Reitwagen1885 - built by Daimler-Maybach
1280px-Daimler_Reitwagen1885 - built by Daimler-Maybach.jpeg

FirstVersions_Harley-Davidson1903-1904-A
FirstVersions_Harley-Davidson1903-1904-A.png

FirstVersions_Harley-Davidson1903-1904-B
FirstVersions_Harley-Davidson1903-1904-B.png

I got the 10 spoke mag wheels with the sprocket on it already from bikeberry otw. Hopefully it wont just shear off like you just mentioned. I bought the mag wheels so I wouldn't have to rely on a ragjoint/spoke setup and be left stranded lol
After taking it apart, it didn't shear off after all. Just unscrewed, I suppose it is called a flip flop hub. Now I know.
Surprising that it took so long to completely unscrew it self. I have it pinned and glued back on. Guaranteed until it breaks. Lol.

So... i am pretty well done with this one. Pissed off more than anything. I have reached the end of my fruatration with trying to get the right forks for the front end.... er, well- if i have a 1" headtube; this is the reality.

Now- "oh dont worry..." i hear you say. Nah. Let's not.

I am pretty keen to just leave this build as it is, and build a new bike. Who knows, i may want to sell this one. 🤔

I wont get rid of it until the next one is going.

I had ordered a mtb fork from a supplier and ended up with yet another 1, 1/8" steerer forks. Again. Having specified 1" steerer.

So... i could put the old style schwinn forks on, some nice Monark style forks or use actual motorcycle forks...

But. No. I am not going to. I might tune this bike a bit more, i might even put some tuning into the motor, but after de-restricting the carburettor, gutting the exhaust and making sure the bolts, screws and other fastenings are well and truly secure. I have tested, and tested and tested this bike. I have run it in just "testing" and mostly repairing it.

In the last 3 months i have lost many tubes, and wheels and bolts but in the whole it has been good.

The learnings keep coming.
Cut the chain to length. Dont have slack.
Use a horizontal drop-out frame.
Chrome moly frames are good, but 1" steerers are a bum, unless you already have a good set of forks.
... there are more, but i have to go to the shops.

Attachments

• 20231126_174115.jpg
    20231126_174115.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 36
Aaaah bugger. Fitted the new monark style 1" threaded headset front end, but lost a key feature.

My dull, lifeless and somewhat unresponsive front brake.
It's o.k. i only have 1km to ride in the dark in the morning, so what the brakes wont see, wont hurt them.

The front forks on this apparently 26" monark style springer are just a tad too tall for my not 27.5", 28", or 29" wheel.

Oh well. It's an easy fix.

Oh, and i forgot to have a pipe cutter to trim the tube to the right height...

These things happen. Should be right in a week or two. I think i know where my pipe cutter is???

Attachments

• 20240214_174831.jpg
    20240214_174831.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240214_175608.jpg
    20240214_175608.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240214_175610.jpg
    20240214_175610.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240214_175632.jpg
    20240214_175632.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240214_175700.jpg
    20240214_175700.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 31
Either need long reach brakes or drop bolts. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html

CNC drop built build gallery
Those rims look like aluminum which bodes well for braking. Your brake levers need to have the right pull ratio. Vee brake levers have half the force but twice the pull as short pull levers. I have made vee brakes work with short pull levers but not the other way around.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 36
Aaaah bugger. Fitted the new monark style 1" threaded headset front end, but lost a key feature.

My dull, lifeless and somewhat unresponsive front brake.
It's o.k. i only have 1km to ride in the dark in the morning, so what the brakes wont see, wont hurt them.

The front forks on this apparently 26" monark style springer are just a tad too tall for my not 27.5", 28", or 29" wheel.

Oh well. It's an easy fix.

Oh, and i forgot to have a pipe cutter to trim the tube to the right height...

These things happen. Should be right in a week or two. I think i know where my pipe cutter is???
Why don't you use a disc brake?
I see in your pics that your forks have the bracket for a disc brake
DSCF3654.JPG

PIc of what it would look like with disc brake
DSCF3652.JPG

Back