Latest build, learned from previous mistakes...

bikeH0rn

Local time
7:46 PM
The best one i have put together so far. So many changes to learn making a thing that should not be...

When i first put one of these together a friend came around, we rode it a few times and we ended up losing the master link. I eventually got around that somehow, using the spirit of necessity i made a link and peened it onto the chain. First i ground some pins down on an outer link and punched those out, and then punched out some more pins and then used that as the link and fully peened them into the chain. It lasted for the whole life of the chain.

I then used the first motorbicycle to ride in and out of town, approximately 22 kilometres. I must have ridden it about 10 times before each breakdown.

Frequently riding past the cops and somehow i managed to keep out of trouble. Despite riding the abomination (the first one was a malvern star 28" wheel frame) on sundays and only to "church" with my sweet well behaved friends, who never drink so much alcohol that we fell over fighting with fire extinguishers in the courtyard of a disused Gaol after riding the malvern star abomination arpund the block lots of times.

Eventually the malvern star monster lost a cdi, and a magneto due to wet weather riding. I found all parts quickly online. Sealing up the magneto trigger wire hole with Wurth black silicone worked amazing.

Then a carby part fell off (a banjo bolt) and it took ages to find one online. A hydraulics supplier had the part and it only cost a few bucks. It did take me about 3 months to get around to it. The newer models do not have this carburettor any more.

Eventually i got it running again, but barely used it.

One sober weekend long after the the somehow retirement of the malvern star trash bike, i managed to get hold of a schwinn stinger. Quick maths- yes. That was the next step. I Eventually got the kit from the malvern star shoehorned into the Schwinn frame, with a sweet purple bannana seat and 19" apehangers.

That was the second iteration of the abomination.
This time round the frame mount bolts fell out, the mount kit bolts fell out, one of the frame bolts snapped and stuff kep falling off.

I did do a lot of riding on that junker though. And managed to keep it running.

But now- i have this. I have been getting help from a recent convert and used all of the information i have learned over the years about chinese junk and the total lack of loctite or thread fastener used on the products...

Using extra spring washers, and flat washers along with anti-sieze on parts that have to be removed and serviced... isolating vibration with rubber and the correct method of testing things before going on big adventures.

Still a lot of learning to go, but somehow- i am proud of this abomonotron.
The better photo is the newer bike built from the experiences had by the item in the blurry photo.

It is still a massive ongoing work. I am not totally 100% satisfied, but removing the gears, making sure the rear wheel is up to the task and using a singlespeed freewheel cluster intead of a gear assembly have been amazing improvements.

Still to come, the sketchy red chinese expansion chamber, a reed valve kit, sproket parts, a new set of higher bars, and front suspension for now might see me pretty happy with this build.

Stay tuned?

Attachments

• 20230925_191540.jpg
    20230925_191540.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 115
  • FB_IMG_1695640567297.jpg
    FB_IMG_1695640567297.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 91
You've come to the right place to learn about comfort/safety. This forum focuses in on helping to make sure your next ride isn't your Last Ride.

We're all born ignorant.

A fool never learns from their mistakes

A smart person learns from their mistakes

The wise learns from the mistakes of others

I have ordered an iso mount. Not sure how long i am going to use either. Some seem to last a bit. The malvern star had a rubber disk and plate setup and it took a thrashing. The wheel and sprocket setup was never the issue on that rig.

I think a special hub would be better. I was looking at building a 23" (from a honda xl) or a 21" or 19" wheel using a postie bike, ct110 or crf50 rear hub and a new rim.

It ends up costing around A$200 a wheel to build with spokes and everything. I am leaning toward the postie hubs if i can get them as they have a cush drive in the ADR auspost setup.

Rather than use the crank (which is the kickstarter/1st gear) to drive directly the back wheel i would prefer to have a jackshaft. This i wont bother with on this build, as it is just for comfort and to fine tune the bike available bits for this build. Sometime in the future when i am not trying to move house i will start that thing.

Anyone tried windowing a stock piston?

Maybe? I call a postmans motorbike the honda ct110 a "postie" because thats what they used to ride. The clearance auctions would be held every year amd the old contract bikes would be sold off. Now they ride a honda hero 125, but they still clear them once they have done however many laps of the Odometer it is.

Maybe? I call a postmans motorbike the honda ct110 a "postie" because thats what they used to ride. The clearance auctions would be held every year amd the old contract bikes would be sold off. Now they ride a honda hero 125, but they still clear them once they have done however many laps of the Odometer it is.
I'm not trying to tease you. I was just confused for a moment until I remembered what you meant by postie.

Back