Progress on build

Al, how are you going to mount the rear brake calipers? Wouldn't be too bad to braze one on. Tig welding is also an option. I am not a fan of the adapters. A lot of faith in an after market one size fits none solution. Could always get a quote from a local frame builder if it's not in your wheel house though it won't be cheap. https://framebuildersupply.com/collections/disc-tabs

Al, how are you going to mount the rear brake calipers? Wouldn't be too bad to braze one on. Tig welding is also an option. I am not a fan of the adapters. A lot of faith in an after market one size fits none solution. Could always get a quote from a local frame builder if it's not in your wheel house though it won't be cheap. https://framebuildersupply.com/collections/disc-tabs
If I were building a bike with disc brakes, I'd do what Damien did and make one with some stout aluminum specifically for the bike

Al, how are you going to mount the rear brake calipers?
Why braze or weld when AL can easily custom make his own adapter like I did???...It has the fork on it to wrap around the axle which also doubles as reinforcing the drop down against wear out, cracking or breaking due to torque stress as it is a little less in width between the forks so the axle is acually on the 7075 T-6 military aircraft grade aluminum I used for this adapter.

Then the adapter rides the rear most portion of the frame itself so it does not move one iota, a hole was also drilled through it matching a hole that the drop down area also has in it where it is bolted into place with locknut, bolt and lockwasher along with blue locktite...It hasn't budged whatsoever.

Fabricated Rear Caliper Adaptor IMG_0347.jpg

Another view of rear caliper adaptor.IMG_0350.jpg

I personally find tig welding easier than fabricating a custom adapter. Brazing with brass or silver doesn't risk distortion and is easy to learn.
Aluminum is actually very easy to fabricate. You still need to fabricate a mount from steel to weld on. Aluminum is alot softer so it's way easier to cut and drill.

Aluminum is actually very easy to fabricate. You still need to fabricate a mount from steel to weld on. Aluminum is alot softer so it's way easier to cut and drill.

Soft isn't always easier, the thicker aluminum gets the harder it's to work with
Blades, drill bits, and taps gum up
But there's a technique to working with thick aluminum

Back