First build, happy to find a place with so much wisdom!

Welcome to the forum. You're too nice, you need to be a lil rougher around the edges to get a long here.
And here I thought that we had all successfully become "polite, genteel and civilised" around here...lol...lol.
We even stopped devouring our young a few years ago...lol.

Wait a minute, anyone see Gordy???...Where's Gordy???...lol.
He hasn't been seen in the forums for 36 hours now, very unlike him not to be here.

Well it is the end of the first day and while I was certain I would find problems, I forgot how fun creatively fixing them is...

Problem 1, the 3 piece crank set is too narrow by approximately .25 inches on the left side. I am researching practical ways of fixing this and it seems the most likely and ethical way of fixing it would be to buy offset pedal arms, yes?

Problem 2, the twist throttle is far too narrow to fit on these drop bars. The suggestion for converting the throttle to a lever style has fabulous timing and I greatly appreciate it. I also imagine it's a classy look.

Problem 3, my rear wheel has a sprocket already built into it on the left side and its about 20 tooth. It also has what appears to be part of a Shimano coaster brake. I'm going more research to find out what exactly it is.

Engine is mocked up and fuel tank as well. Tomorrow is another day to find more solutions.

Is that a sprocket on the left rear side? What is that for? I've never seen rims like that. The sidewall has to be 4" tall. Is all that 4" metal? That is a strange bike, maybe it was a real racer. 32 spoke rims.

Is that a sprocket on the left rear side? What is that for? I've never seen rims like that. The sidewall has to be 4" tall. Is all that 4" metal? That is a strange bike, maybe it was a real racer. 32 spoke rims.
that's a track cog. It doesn't freewheel, if the wheel is moving the pedals are moving.

It is possible to slow down by pushing back against the movement of the pedals and even ride backwards. Some people like it, I've tried it and I didn't get it.
That's where you weld the new MB sprocket on.
Someone has done that: https://motorbicycling.com/threads/my-first-build-and-so-many-issues.60356/

Attachments

• Capture+_2024-03-23-00-53-07.png
    Capture+_2024-03-23-00-53-07.png
    508.6 KB · Views: 18
Gordon, I don't think those will fit. The rims on those wheels are as wide as the tires it came with in 1984. Also, I don't think there are brakes with arms long enough. The frame was built for 27 inch wheels (630 iso) so swapping to 26 inch (559 iso) is going to be a huge drop.

I've gone from 26 x 1 1/4 (597) to 26 inch mtb (559) but that's about the same jump as 700c (622) to 650b (584)

Yea, it seems someone stripped it down to make a fixie out of it. Might be worth something to someone looking in that category.

Well it is the end of the first day and while I was certain I would find problems, I forgot how fun creatively fixing them is...

Problem 1, the 3 piece crank set is too narrow by approximately .25 inches on the left side. I am researching practical ways of fixing this and it seems the most likely and ethical way of fixing it would be to buy offset pedal arms, yes?

Problem 2, the twist throttle is far too narrow to fit on these drop bars. The suggestion for converting the throttle to a lever style has fabulous timing and I greatly appreciate it. I also imagine it's a classy look.

Problem 3, my rear wheel has a sprocket already built into it on the left side and its about 20 tooth. It also has what appears to be part of a Shimano coaster brake. I'm going more research to find out what exactly it is.

Engine is mocked up and fuel tank as well. Tomorrow is another day to find more solutions.
If your twist throttle has a metal outside casing, you can find a location to drill a small hole. Put it in the position you want it in on your handlebar. Then use a self-tapping screw through the hole to secure the throttle to the handlebar.

1000002183.jpg

Back