Phanton 85 bending exhaust

OrionSphere

Local time
6:02 PM
Installing my P 85, exhaust didn't clear the frame where my CNC engine mount was.
1000001974.jpg

I acquired a propane torch and tried to bend it.1000002123.jpg

1000002126.jpg
Pulled with all my force and was certain it hadn't budged at all. Instead it bent here
20240312_225817.jpg
It worked. It fit. I have clearance. For anyone wanting to bend their phantom 85 muffler you might save yourself some trouble by just heating and bending right here. Correct me if it's a horrible idea
20240313_010744.jpg

Did you get that baby bright orange/yellow all the way around? even if it's red, it's not enough to bend.

You don't have to worry about dumping too much heat into it with a propane torch.

Kudos for doing this OFF the bike! you definitely don't want to torque on your exhaust bolts or cook your frame.

Did you get that baby bright orange/yellow all the way around? even if it's red, it's not enough to bend.

You don't have to worry about dumping too much heat into it with a propane torch.

Kudos for doing this OFF the bike! you definitely don't want to torque on your exhaust bolts or cook your frame.
I heated it for like 4 minutes straight. Phantom pipe is too fat to heat it like that all the way around

I heated it for like 4 minutes straight. Phantom pipe is too fat to heat it like that all the way around
The trick is heating the area past what you want hot too, constantly moving the torch, if you concentrate in one area, the cold steel will soak it away.

But a propane torch *should* still work.

Map gas torch would make it easier.

I was under the impression that mapp had been discontinued. And that Mapp-Pro was an imitation that only got slightly hotter that propane, and thus isn't very popular.
Yep, Mapp-pro.

It's still no Oxy-acetylene, but it does get a bit hotter than propane.

Back