Bending Exhaust. A few questions.

Yes a Hickey will put a slight bend in the pipe? I've bent 1" rebar with a Hickey
Do ya think you can put a large bend in the CG exhaust pipe with a hickey?
Are ya worried that the pipe might crack or get kinked?
A pipe hickey bender is different than a rebar hickey bender. In electrical work conduit has minimum radius requirements for certain size pipes. Hickey benders are used when you want to use a larger radius in the bend. Now with the benders it's also possible to put a smaller radius in the pipe than the NEC allows as well. Yes I could do a large bend in that kind of pipe but it'd have a huge radius. Therefore it'd be better to have large bends done at a muffler shop. Fortunately just a few degrees would be enough to get separation from the frame.

Last edited:
So the stock China-Girl Exhaust has some sort of emission control-device in it?
Not to my knowledge...If that were so i would think the EPA would have approved them...Ive not seen any that are EPA or California approved...That would, of course, be the entire reason for an emission control device to begin with...Just my 2 cents worth...DAMIEN

Not to my knowledge...If that were so i would think the EPA would have approved them...Ive not seen any that are EPA or California approved...That would, of course, be the entire reason for an emission control device to begin with...Just my 2 cents worth...DAMIEN
That would be wild if there was some sort of catalytic device in there.... it wouldn't be worth it because the jetting is all over the map on these engines, and they use the same muffler on the 4-stroke kits, etc...?
I just saw that statement and thought, "What IS in there?".

That would be wild if there was some sort of catalytic device in there.... it wouldn't be worth it because the jetting is all over the map on these engines, and they use the same muffler on the 4-stroke kits, etc...?
I just saw that statement and thought, "What IS in there?".
I think he must have been looking for another word other than "catalyst" He might have been trying to refer to a chambered system versus a straight flow system, such as glasspacks etc., and just couldn't find the right word to express his thoughts...DAMIEN
"What IS in there?"
Its just a baffle that supposedly slides out to clean it...lol...Trust me when i say it doesn't just slide out...lol...Have never got one out yet...lol...When i clean out mine. i just make a mixture of Simple Green and water, block the "peepee" pipe at the end, fill it up and block the manifold flange end, shake it up and let it sit over night, shake again in morning, pour out black crud residue, hose it out, and set it out in the hot desert sun to dry it out for a few hous...lol.

The first couple miles you go after that has the added bonus of smelling "fresh" with that Simple Green aroma...lol...DAMIEN

That would be fun to try and see if that baffle does come out. Thanks for the info! I like the Simple Green Idea. My wife would probably insist I permanently mount a muffler for all of my "emissions"!!! (Burrito Night)

A pipe hickey bender is different than a rebar hickey bender. In electrical work conduit has minimum radius requirements for certain size pipes. Hickey benders are used when you want to use a larger radius in the bend. Now with the benders it's also possible to put a smaller radius in the pipe as well. Yes I could do a large bend in that kind of pipe but it'd have a huge radius. Therefore it'd be better to have large bends done at a muffler shop. Fortunately just a few degrees would be enough to get separation from the frame
I've used EMT benders to bend EMT conduit. Rebar hickey, Pipe hickey I didn't know their was a difference. But now I do thanks
To tell ya the truth it's late and I'm just writing to write. I've never sand bended and I've only done some bending of conduit Not even enough to say I'm good at it. But thanks for the info about Hickey bending. I doubt I'll be bending anything with a EMT bender or a Hickey any more
I'm Retired. I'm not in the Construction Trades any more and kinda disabled.

But I'm still Interested in bending an Exhaust. I might want to bend my Whizzer Exhaust pipe up about 1" so the pipe is just above level
I'll probably take that to my friends M/C shop or a Muffler Shop I know it's only an inch But I won't even chance bending my own pipe. :ROFLMAO:
I don't want to heat it because of the chrome I think I could get an EMT bender on it or a pipe hickey. Which I have neither
So I really shouldn't even give information on how to bend someone else's pipe :LOL:

Last edited:
I've done 3 so far..... Its very simple to do.. Put muffler pipe in a vise and heat it up with a propane torch.
Then bend it VERY slowly so it doesn't kink on you = Problem solved.

Back