Now that Sick Bike Parts has shut down, what's the off the shelf solutions to shifter bikes?

cloakedvillain

Local time
7:28 AM
I'm interested in builder a shifter bike and I can do it off the shelf but I would lose the pedals.

Thus starting a two stroke kit becomes very hard outside of a bt80, an electric scooter motor(free wheel sprocket on the output of something like a my1016z) in the drive train or the grubee ocdt. The problem with those are that they all require an outside power source that isn't non negotiable like my legs.

Four stroke kits are always an option, but they're wide and a good 2 stroke kit (like the grubee ones, zeda 80 or wild cat pk80) are the cost of a rough four stroke kit.

The answer may be in how mid drive e-bikes get power to the wheel without smashing the riders legs. Something to think about.

While I love this build, I'm no welder or fabricator: https://motoredbikes.com/threads/new-4stroke-build.61728/

Edit: When dreaming up builds I am reminded of the tyranny of the rocket equation: the more weight you add, the more power you need, the more strength in components and efficacy of safety is necessary. 'Dutch' style pedal bikes are popular for a reason: these bikes are simple, sturdy, dependable and most importantly useful.

Or get o e of those kick stands that holds the rear wheel off the ground and spin the rear wheel and pop the clutch to fire it up

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I bought up a bunch of SBP parts while they were reduced in price for future builds. Sprockets, bracketry, HD freewheel and a bunch of the hd bearings, etc. Some of that stuff you can easily buy yourself like the 5/8" keyed shaft and their bearings though.

That being said, a shift kit really isn't necessary with most builds. Simply pedal, start the motor, and ride. The shift kits add a lot of complexity where it really isn't needed, and the sheer number of gears and their narrow spacing are also a bit useless. You spend a lot of time shifting for minor changes in speed.

The only reason I want to hang on to this stuff is because I still want to do a shift kit build with a 3 speed internally geared hub, but with all of the chain in the system being 415h for proper durability.

I bought up a bunch of SBP parts while they were reduced in price for future builds. Sprockets, bracketry, HD freewheel and a bunch of the hd bearings, etc. Some of that stuff you can easily buy yourself like the 5/8" keyed shaft and their bearings though.

That being said, a shift kit really isn't necessary with most builds. Simply pedal, start the motor, and ride. The shift kits add a lot of complexity where it really isn't needed, and the sheer number of gears and their narrow spacing are also a bit useless. You spend a lot of time shifting for minor changes in speed.

The only reason I want to hang on to this stuff is because I still want to do a shift kit build with a 3 speed internally geared hub, but with all of the chain in the system being 415h for proper durability.
Using a standard 3 speed IGH as a jackshaft transmission with a 44/10 is the same as having a 58/10, 44/10, 32/10 to select from. This will greatly increase the WOT average speed.

The Strumy Archer S3X as a jackshaft transmission with a 32/10 would be like having a 50/10, 42/10, 32/10 to select from. Unlike a regular 3 speed IGH a second jackshaft isn't needed to pick up the IGH input; everything can be kept on the left side.

Either setup will increase acceleration and require less pedal assist.

Using a standard 3 speed IGH as a jackshaft transmission with a 44/10 is the same as having a 58/10, 44/10, 32/10 to select from. This will greatly increase the WOT average speed.

The Strumy Archer S3X as a jackshaft transmission with a 32/10 would be like having a 50/10, 42/10, 32/10 to select from. Unlike a regular 3 speed IGH a second jackshaft isn't needed to pick up the IGH input; everything can be kept on the left side.

Either setup will increase acceleration and require less pedal assist.
It could also be run on the right side with the system still being 415hd chain. A couple of custom sprockets is all ot would take, and that isn't even very expensive.

Shift kits aren't legal for a motorized bike in many states. Michigan is one where they aren't.
Check your local/state laws before building.
Been riding 13 years and never been stopped. I totally obey all traffic operating laws. The automatic transmission clause was my inspiration for building the LandRider which shifted 7 gears automatically; a legal loophole.

Back