Next 2 stroke build idea.

There are several open source options for CAD programs on Ubuntu. I haven't delved into any yet.
I suppose before I buy a 3D printer or CNC machine I'd better start with learning the software. Cura looks like a good open source slicing software for basic 3D printing.
Cura is decent.

There are several open source options for CAD programs on Ubuntu. I haven't delved into any yet.
I suppose before I buy a 3D printer or CNC machine I'd better start with learning the software. Cura looks like a good open source slicing software for basic 3D printing.
I really like Lychee/Mango slicer, plus the cost is less to buy a fully featured version.

"the other engine I want to try and use (Lifan AX100 clone). That does at least have a transmission included lol. Also much heavier."

I did buy one of those kits off Amazon for under 300 CDN all in. Haven't seen them that cheap since.

Don't have it running yet but getting closer. The transmission seems ok except it has the brass bushing in the clutch. I may cut a spiral grove in it to hold the grease a little longer with a zerk fitting for easier maintenance. Have to see how it works.

If you do want to use the 3 speed fixed hub, you need to pick one up the before they dry up.

Sturmey still has new models that would also work, and I don't have to spend double the price of new retail for a used unit.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Nah, no need. It's good information either way.

Plus, I could be mistaken. @Sidewinder Jerry the person with the most knowledge on the type of hub I need. Maybe that s3x model is the one I need. I know it's the strongest hub you can get.
As far as I know the fixed gear, geared hubs are the only ones that can be driven from the left.
The options for the fixed gear, geared hubs are either ancient, rare and with really narrow ratios or the modern s3x which has sadly been discontinued.

All the rest freewheel, meaning input has to be clockwise, requiring a jackshaft.

There is a way to convert the old AW 3 speed hubs to 2 speed fixed gear hubs, with a 3/4 and direct drive. Problem is: you either need a bridgeport and a carbide end-mill or have to grind down pawls and the use a dremel on the ratchet ring inside of the hub.

The second option, has no pictures or drawings, only a brief description from the man who had done it on several AW hubs and even a modern alloy SRF3 hub. The second option for the AW conversion is in the queue but that's waiting on some bigger projects to get done first.

There is also a bendix 2 Speed coaster brake with cable actuated shifting, 20 years that was the cheap and easy way to get a multispeed fixed gear bike. If I remember right, the clutch of the coaster brake was welded/brazed to the hub and the brake shoes removed.

Post in thread 'Sprocket Size' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/sprocket-size.62840/post-664663

As far as I know the fixed gear, geared hubs are the only ones that can be driven from the left.
The options for the fixed gear, geared hubs are either ancient, rare and with really narrow ratios or the modern s3x which has sadly been discontinued.

All the rest freewheel, meaning input has to be clockwise, requiring a jackshaft.

There is a way to convert the old AW 3 speed hubs to 2 speed fixed gear hubs, with a 3/4 and direct drive. Problem is: you either need a bridgeport and a carbide end-mill or have to grind down pawls and the use a dremel on the ratchet ring inside of the hub.

The second option, has no pictures or drawings, only a brief description from the man who had done it on several AW hubs and even a modern alloy SRF3 hub. The second option for the AW conversion is in the queue but that's waiting on some bigger projects to get done first.

There is also a bendix 2 Speed coaster brake with a cable actuated shifting, that 20 years was the cheap and easy way to get a multispeed fixed gear bike. If I remember right, the clutch of the coaster brake was welded/brazed to the hub and the brake shoes removed.

Post in thread 'Sprocket Size' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/sprocket-size.62840/post-664663
maybe I am wrong then. I don't have enough pride to deny it lol. I will see if I can pick one up at some point. Maybe I can find a used one that can be restored/serviced and save myself some money.

maybe I am wrong then. I will see if I can pick one up when the notion hits me.
these hubs had an msrp of 179 usd when they were released years ago. Not bad for holding their value. Can't compare to a Rohloff hub though.

Regardless, you still have pedals and can bail yourself out on big hills and stops. You're a tall guy, you could really put some power through the pedals without any real training.

Back