Difficult 4-Stroke Build - Bad Chain Clearance!

DanTheDIYGuy

Local time
1:56 AM
I assembled this bike that I bought from a bike shop. It has an unfortunate feature, the seatstays bow inward by design. Here are photos of my homemade sprocket bracket to attach to the disc brake hub, and the unfortunate (yet highly successful) chain alignment set up that I have been forced to use. It's just not practical nor worthwhile for me to try the other options (trust me, I've given them a shot!)
20230830_061210.jpg

A few things:
-I need to properly mount the tank, this is a temporary solution
-I am well aware that it is not advisable to use a chain tensioner on the drive side of the chain, I need this to gain proper clearance (and a smaller sprocket reduces my torque too much to go that route
-I know the number of tensioners looks silly, most of them have a good amount of slack to reduce friction and are only being used to maintain a safe chain alignment and prevent derailment (I've been through enough accidents that this is a worthwhile thing to do)
-I would prefer a jackshaft setup for security reasons, I prefer having a rock-solid or very safe chainline, and the current setup requires me to use multiple tensioners to "align" the chain so as to prevent it from eating through the aluminum seatstay

There are some other improvements that I haven't come up with yet, but I am looking into them. I'm fortunate enough to have a back wheel that is compatible with both rim brakes and disc brakes, so I went with the disc brake hub mounting solution. I've never had success with a rag joint, and the CNC milled hub adapters work okay, but not as well as this thing does. I've never been so comfortable with a sprocket setup before, this is fantastic! As far as I know, nobody else has documented a 4-stroke with these issues. In fact, this isn't purely a 4-stroke problem, I'd experience the same thing with a 2-stroke.

Feel free to ask questions about it. Here are some close-up photos of particulars.
20230825_182932.jpg
20230825_182928.jpg
20230830_061232.jpg
20230830_061218.jpg

This last picture really captures the essence of my struggle. The chain rises about a half inch too high without an idler pulley to keep it low. I did my best to find a heavy-duty solution that would safely and effectively guide the chain in terms of up and down motion, and will last a long time and resist wear. I used some motorcycle idler wheels to "capture" the chain in the flanges of ye olde tensioner wheel. That wheel does the work of keeping the chain from moving side-to-side. I have noticed a slight pull to the right in the chainline that is likely fixable by doing some minor shimming of my sprocket. I haven't determined if I want to go to all that trouble.

20230829_174419.jpg

The bike has so far excelled at off-road riding in my rough pasture. I am putting it through some rough shakedown rides in the hopes that I can highlight the weaknesses and address them before I go road riding. Thankfully I have a pasture to test in, so if I get thrown off I shouldn't get hurt. Last build had a steel axle break on the front wheel. Completely out of my control, and it ruined the whole build. Thankfully that wheel was loyal to me all the way down to 3ish mph. It gave everything it had before catastrophically failing and causing its untimely demise.

Nice build! Better keep a good eye on your weld joints on that frame, since you are using a aluminum frame. Good looking build.

I assembled this bike that I bought from a bike shop. It has an unfortunate feature, the seatstays bow inward by design. Here are photos of my homemade sprocket bracket to attach to the disc brake hub, and the unfortunate (yet highly successful) chain alignment set up that I have been forced to use. It's just not practical nor worthwhile for me to try the other options (trust me, I've given them a shot!)
View attachment 197875
A few things:
-I need to properly mount the tank, this is a temporary solution
-I am well aware that it is not advisable to use a chain tensioner on the drive side of the chain, I need this to gain proper clearance (and a smaller sprocket reduces my torque too much to go that route
-I know the number of tensioners looks silly, most of them have a good amount of slack to reduce friction and are only being used to maintain a safe chain alignment and prevent derailment (I've been through enough accidents that this is a worthwhile thing to do)
-I would prefer a jackshaft setup for security reasons, I prefer having a rock-solid or very safe chainline, and the current setup requires me to use multiple tensioners to "align" the chain so as to prevent it from eating through the aluminum seatstay

There are some other improvements that I haven't come up with yet, but I am looking into them. I'm fortunate enough to have a back wheel that is compatible with both rim brakes and disc brakes, so I went with the disc brake hub mounting solution. I've never had success with a rag joint, and the CNC milled hub adapters work okay, but not as well as this thing does. I've never been so comfortable with a sprocket setup before, this is fantastic! As far as I know, nobody else has documented a 4-stroke with these issues. In fact, this isn't purely a 4-stroke problem, I'd experience the same thing with a 2-stroke.

Feel free to ask questions about it. Here are some close-up photos of particulars.
View attachment 197878View attachment 197879View attachment 197880View attachment 197881

This last picture really captures the essence of my struggle. The chain rises about a half inch too high without an idler pulley to keep it low. I did my best to find a heavy-duty solution that would safely and effectively guide the chain in terms of up and down motion, and will last a long time and resist wear. I used some motorcycle idler wheels to "capture" the chain in the flanges of ye olde tensioner wheel. That wheel does the work of keeping the chain from moving side-to-side. I have noticed a slight pull to the right in the chainline that is likely fixable by doing some minor shimming of my sprocket. I haven't determined if I want to go to all that trouble.

View attachment 197882

The bike has so far excelled at off-road riding in my rough pasture. I am putting it through some rough shakedown rides in the hopes that I can highlight the weaknesses and address them before I go road riding. Thankfully I have a pasture to test in, so if I get thrown off I shouldn't get hurt. Last build had a steel axle break on the front wheel. Completely out of my control, and it ruined the whole build. Thankfully that wheel was loyal to me all the way down to 3ish mph. It gave everything it had before catastrophically failing and causing its untimely demise.I

I am confused by the double sprocket with the smaller unused one bolted to the one that is secured by the hub screws that the chain rids on?

I am confused by the double sprocket with the smaller unused one bolted to the one that is secured by the hub screws that the chain rids on?
Looks like he's using the smaller sprocket that mounts to his disc brake hub to hold the bigger sprocket.

They to find some wheels that don't have the quick release. Those are dangerous

Looks like he's using the smaller sprocket that mounts to his disc brake hub to hold the bigger sprocket.

They to find some wheels that don't have the quick release. Those are dangerous
This is correct.

I've heard that, but I don't have an option at the moment... I could maybe change out the axle. I've heard this before and I just don't understand the issue. There are downhill mountain bikers that put extreme load on their bikes, is this so different that it is a practical problem?

The smaller sprocket is my "bracket" that I built that the 44 tooth sprocket bolts to. The smaller sprocket has the proper bolt pattern for the hub, and it needs to sit on the outside of the hub. I needed to come up with a custom way to inset the 44 tooth to get a proper chainline.

This is correct.

I've heard that, but I don't have an option at the moment... I could maybe change out the axle. I've heard this before and I just don't understand the issue. There are downhill mountain bikers that put extreme load on their bikes, is this so different that it is a practical problem?
The problem is the type of torque that is getting put on the wheels. It's getting torque in a way its not designed to. This causes stress on all parts of the wheel. No matter the bike it's a good idea to get purpose built wheels

You may want to consider using 2 idelier sprockets instead of roller tensioners for the top side and bottom side of the chain. Then you could remove the roller tensioner in the middle. With your current setup the tensioners are going to quickly wear out.

1693492060317.png

I used a quick release on the front wheel of the LandRider build for 10 years with no problem. However I strongly suggest replacing the rear QR with a solid cro-molly axle.

This is correct.

It's a constant torque thing that'll cause the issue not a single impact thing. The competitive down hillers change out their tires for each run. They already expect to have to have the wheel rebuilt after a run.

Back