Need lower gearing, but which gears ??

I have a Staton crank-shift kit up and running on a 21- speed MB. kit runs good but I need lower gearing and am not sure what the best approach would be. It came with a 12-tooth sprocket for the drive shaft, I changed that too a 10- tooth which helped a little, but not much. Now, I am not sure if a cassette change would do it or if a front crank set would be the way to go, seems a bit pricey really. In the advert for the kit he claims this will "go up any hill" , so I thought the lower gears ( largest front sprocket,smallest rear ) would be "granny low like ) but not even close. Any help appreciated..........:D

The stock cassette is 7-speed, 14- 28 tooth
A 7 speed 28-14 is a freewheel not a cassette. Here is what you want to get.

http://www.ebikestop.com/dnp_epoch_...vtt_YAwgQYggdZNWqmLNbtdX38ThfAeHSAaAuxz8P8HAQ

I didn't switch anything, it must be a freewheel, my terminology is just off.Anyway, my largest chainring is a 42t, if I can a freewheel that starts with a 10 or 11 I think I would be fine. I would need to get a 7-speed freewheel as I can't really afford to start changing everything right now, my rear wheel took a hit the other day and is gonna need replacing, maybe I can buy 12 gauge spokes and relace it myself....Thanks

another issue I have is I cannot access the 14t on the freewheel because the bolthead for the vertical rear support is in the way.

Bill, here is what I need to know. What speed and size freewheel are you using in the rear? What front chainrings are you using? What size gear is on your gearbox. Do you have lots of steep hills? Are you under 250 lbs. What size tires are you using. Once I have a clear picture of this, then I'll be better able to help you.

Smallest is 27t, I don't even think of using that I'm always on the large C.R and #6 or #5 on the shifter.If I could get that freewheel you posted and eliminate the bolthead blocking mr i would be fine. The gear on the G.B., I went down to a 10 tooth.

27,37,42 = C.R.'s
185 lbs= ME
Lots of steep hills
14-28 = freewheel
26" tires
10t = engine gear

What you need is a 17t gear on the gearbox. You'll need to move your rear wheel over to the left using washers so you'll have access to the 14t sprocket. That means you'll have to adjust the rear derailleur. This will be your shift pattern: Entering a uphill climb at a slow speed 1(1,2,3). Level ground 2(3,4,5) 3(5,6). Downhill overdrive 3(7). The shift points for the front chain rings are when you're in 3 or 5 in the rear. For stops going up a hill be in 1(1) before stopping. Then use that as a starting gear. All other stops be in 2(3) before stopping then use that at a starting gear.

You could use a 15t gear on the gear box. This would give you more hill climbing ability but 3(7) will be the 100% gear instead of 3(6). You'll lose the overdrive gear. However a 15t is what you'd want to use with a 8 speed 34-11 freewheel should you ever decide to use that setup.

How to adjust your bicycle's rear derailleur and …: http://youtu.be/gCP9i8eWt78

Last edited:
Back