Getting (rather, not getting) a license in WA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Motored Bike issue has little to nothing to do with the Feds, as much as we love to blame them for our problems.

My apologies i should have said governmental departments as they will all eventually be involved if legislation is required .

Charger for Vishnu

This message is a continuation of the the discussion in the thread titled "Email from Washington State DOT."

First, in WA, the lighting system for a gas-powered moped must be like that of a motorcycle - run off the engine with a magneto or the equivalent.

I bet as long as you have a charging system on your bike to keep the battery in check, that would work. You could prob use a DC/DC converter and a 6V X-FDD hub. Just be cautious because it is geared for an average speed of ~12MPH, at higher RPM the voltage output is greater (no clue what). You would want a wide range input on the DV/DC converter, but you might be able to get something to keep a 6V battery pack charged. Good lights are a must to keep you safe. I keep debating about building my own. I think this lexan relay housing would make a good setup, with some good LEDs behind it. My problem though is wasting all the time designing and building something just for me, though I think once I go motorized I will have to - though I must say I love my off the shelf headlight.

The X-FDD hub is fairly well regulated, when compared to the old 'bottle' generators. It will top out at about 9 Volts or so (and, about 6 watts, max.) But, this is AC voltage - you will need to add a bridge rectifier, using schotsky diodes (low forward voltage drop) & a filter capacitor to convert to DC. It will provide about a half amp of current at low speeds (6-8 MPH) and up to about 2/3 amp at max power output.

i too live in wa state

Why are people pursuing trying to become legal on something that has no defined legality at this time if we keep bugging the feds and local licensing offices it can only bring trouble .
my own feelings as mentioned by other people here ride safely with courtersy and as legally as you can ie wear a helmet ,use lights and a horn,obey the normal vehicle laws on the road with regard to speed and maybe just maybe it will stay free .
The cb radio issue in the UK was a great example of this happening people used illegal radios and made a big thing about it ,protests and messing with government radio equipment in the end the government made cb radio legal but on such a poor system it virtuall killed the hobby.
JMHO
Royz

I agree with him...just ride the thing and do it responsibly...for instance we had loyalty days here on the long beach peninsula and I rode my happy time to work that day...well when I was leaving on my lunch break I had to pedal against the parade itself or be forced to walk...so I turn onto pacific ave. and a long beach cop has the street closed he says something as I start the engine..i circle back and he says "I heard these things were coming back..." and I said they never really were gone just improoved different...they are just 2stroke engines on a bike as a peddal assist,personally mine is a 70cc a dax rebuild and I asked him point blank.."are we all good with law here?" He said "the law was writen for you.." so my perception is every person interprets the law their own way, ours happen to think it was written for us so until some foolio who acts iresponsibly and wrecks it for us changes the way they persieve us, then I think we are safe. I personally am tired of hearing about the blah blah blah...i realize the radar is catching up and someday they will have a bore and stroke measuring tool and they will know it's a non complient engine, but t'ill then why rock the perverbial boat...when it hits dateline NBC then we should worry and be ready...have a 50cc as a spare cuz thats what it is at the moment...:eek:at least almost 1700 people are educating themselves here the largest MB forum on the net...! and between the clone forum and all others that re invent MBc try to follow civil ways of doing things so we have a fighting chance! I say when the day comes that we ride to the steps of Washington DC to keep our right to ride and ride free then...what more can i say!:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back