Disc brakes

mirman

Local time
7:57 AM
I need to find a disc brake that is at least 200mm or bigger. How do you mount the caliper on the bigger discs?

There are different size adapter brackets that mount the caliper to the fork/frame. They are usually sold by mount type and disc size.

Mount type is fairly straight forward. PM or IS. Aka Post Mount or International Standard.

Disc size being the diameter in mm. The front and rear both use the same brackets, but due to the location the front and rear disc size for those mounts is different. Some are listed universal, and will state the size for the location (180 front/203 rear) Others are just sold for one location, but can still be used for both.

This is the brand I bought most of my brakes through for my current bike. Their listing actually shows a lot of this detail.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I did the same...Here are pics below of how I did mine...160mm disk in the front, 203mm disk in the rear...With the rear setup like mine you can only use a 36 tooth rear sprocket or smaller in order to have enough clearance for the caliper so as not to interfere with the rear sprocket and chain.

Here is the front 160mm disk set up using a common axle fork, black caliper adapter attached to an "Adel" clamp which is strapped around the front fork.

DSCN0189.JPG

This is the rear 203mm disk set up with the typical black caliper strap type of caliper adapter which is attached to my homemade frame to caliper adapter which is made from 7075 T-6 aluminum....I designed the aluminum frame adapter to also have the fork that slides over the axle and used an existing hole in the dropout part of the frame to screw it to that part of the frame as well as hand filing it to fit perfectly, the butt end of the frame for extra stability.

Fabricated Rear Caliper Adaptor IMG_0347.jpg

Another view of rear caliper adaptor.IMG_0350.jpg

Take note of the very limited space there is between the caliper and chain and sprocket using the 36 tooth sprocket, hence the reason I mentioned this will be the largest sprocket you can use with this set up.

DSCN0346.JPG

Take note of the very limited space there is between the caliper and chain and sprocket using the 36 tooth sprocket, hence the reason I mentioned this will be the largest sprocket you can use with this set up.

View attachment 204145
I was hoping to find someone who had built it with parts that I can buy online. I am not really set up to make my own bracket.

You may be able to use these adapters...I would advise that you be ready to drill a hole in each one that will hopefully be able to match an existing hole in the frame dropouts though for stability so they do not shift on you.

On my bike, (steel frame ONLY), i had to "stretch" the rear forks apart by hand, about 1/2 an inch to put the rear wheel with sprocket/rotor attached, and then use a spare 15MM axle nut on the sprocket/rotor inside of the drop down, threaded to the axle with blue locktite, to maintain that amount of "stretch" to accommodate the amount of of clearance space the rotor needs so as not to be pressed against the frame.

It helps to have a buddy with a strong pair of hands to help in this proceedure like I did...lol.

Do NOT attempt to stretch if you have an aluminum frame as it will crack on you.

You may also be able to do something like I adapted later on so I can R&R the rear wheel by myself though, this method is perfect if your using mag wheels but might be a little tricky with spoked rims.

Here is the tool I adapted:
And this is how the tool works:

Back