mag rims

Soulfly

Local time
1:49 PM
Hey guys went out today to enjoy a pretty day riding and of course something f$$ked up on my bike the rim is warped. So eventually I was going to mag rims anyway so I guess I will now at least the rear for now. I have a couple of questions first any recommendations? Second when I order the rim I want what else will I have to purchase I'll be running disc. brakes? Third question I've seen a few rear rims with the drive sprocket already installed I'd really like to have a larger drive sprocket at least a 44 tooth sprocket if so how would that work with disc. brakes or will it work? Thank you.

What size rims are on your bike? Order that size. Do you have a 2 stroke kit on your bike? Do you have Vbrakes? Do you have a caliper mount on the rear? More info will get you better advice.

What size rims are on your bike? Order that size. Do you have a 2 stroke kit on your bike? Do you have Vbrakes? Do you have a caliper mount on the rear? More info will get you better advice.
Well I guess I figured I've whined enough about my issues everybody knew what I had lol. It has 26" wheels not sure of the width it has disc. brakes it a "felt faker" I do have a bastardized 2 stroke kit but it has the usual stuff that comes with one the engine is a phantom 85 piston ported ms460 hyway piston.

If you are especially heavy or travel bumpy roads, a good spoked rim is safer.

Failure mode of mag rims is to shatter.

Tri-blade only, all others are widow makers.

I've got my eye on some 3 spoke mags. 95 present of my travel is asphalt but the conditions of the is pretty crappy.
If you got the potential of a pothole strike I'd hesitate on mags.

There are decent spoked rims out there I'm sure several here can chime in.
For Soulfly I wouldn't recommend those rims I got. He'd have a rough time getting the sprocket to line up.

If you got the potential of a pothole strike I'd hesitate on mags.

There are decent spoked rims out there I'm sure several here can chime in.
That's what I have on my bike now which leads to the question I have for this evening. Yesterday when I first seen the wobble in my wheel (rear wheel) a majority of the spokes were pretty darn loose so I tightened the up and I mean way up I guess the question would be how tight is too tight and how can I get them even because I think there is where my wobble is and advice,tips,or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

That's what I have on my bike now which leads to the question I have for this evening. Yesterday when I first seen the wobble in my wheel (rear wheel) a majority of the spokes were pretty darn loose so I tightened the up and I mean way up I guess the question would be how tight is too tight and how can I get them even because I think there is where my wobble is and advice,tips,or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
If you're going to do wheel work, you need the proper equipment to do it. Truing stand, dishing tool, spoke tensioner tester, and spoke wrench. You don't really need the very expensive equipment. Skill is the most important factor.

I got all of my equipment on line for less than a $150. I can generally get most rims within a millimeter of movement both horizontally and vertically.

I strongly recommend using double walled rims. Once you have the rim trued put the tire and tube back on; then inflate it to max pressure. Next do the hard bounce test. Hold on to it while striking the bottom of the tire on a paved surface in several different spots. Remove the tire and put it back on the stand to be trued again.

Then all you should need is to true your wheels once a year. Unless you're replacing spokes a bounce test won't be necessary anymore. I like Saphim, DT and WheelSmith spokes.

Back