mag rims

That's what I have on my bike now which leads to the question I have for this evening. Yesterday when I first seen the wobble in my wheel (rear wheel) a majority of the spokes were pretty darn loose so I tightened the up and I mean way up I guess the question would be how tight is too tight and how can I get them even because I think there is where my wobble is and advice,tips,or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

If you're going to do wheel work, you need the proper equipment to do it. Truing stand, dishing tool, spoke tensioner tester, and spoke wrench. You don't really need the very expensive equipment. Skill is the most important factor.

I got all of my equipment on line for less than a $150. I can generally get most rims within a illimeter of movement both horizontally and vertically.

I strongly recommend using double walled rims. Once you have the rim trued put the tire and tube back on; then inflate it to max pressure. Next do the hard bounce test. Hold on to it while striking the bottom of the tire on a paved surface in several different spots. Remove the tire and put it back on the stand to be trued again.

Then all you should need is to true your wheels once a year. Unless you're replacing spokes a bounce test won't be necessary anymore. I like Saphim, DT and WheelSmith spokes.

That's what I have on my bike now which leads to the question I have for this evening. Yesterday when I first seen the wobble in my wheel (rear wheel) a majority of the spokes were pretty darn loose so I tightened the up and I mean way up I guess the question would be how tight is too tight and how can I get them even because I think there is where my wobble is and advice,tips,or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Home made truing stand.
1712026196966.png

Sidewinder Jerry, I agree 100 prof.I have been looking up truing stand sand Im familiar with some of the tool but what is a dishing tool if you don't mind oh and you mention something I have very little "skill"lol as a matter of fact sense I've been "enjoying" this hobby I've been as a blind man walking thru a maze. I do endeavor to learn to true my own wheels and considering I do learn very well it just take time to soak into my beadrock thick skull is it something with the right tutorials on line I sure there is I've come this far do you think if I got some equipment I could be trued up and hit the road or just but another rim for now? I just want to do the thing I can be on the road the quickest. I have limited resources from week to week so I would like to be up and riding my bike asap that kinda why I thought about getting mags. I hope all that made sense working OT and staying up past my bedtime is taking its toll. Thanks.

If you're going to do wheel work, you need the proper equipment to do it. Truing stand, dishing tool, spoke tensioner tester, and spoke wrench. You don't really need the very expensive equipment. Skill is the most important factor.

I got all of my equipment on line for less than a $150. I can generally get most rims within a millimeter of movement both horizontally and vertically.

I strongly recommend using double walled rims. Once you have the rim trued put the tire and tube back on; then inflate it to max pressure. Next do the hard bounce test. Hold on to it while striking the bottom of the tire on a paved surface in several different spots. Remove the tire and put it back on the stand to be trued again.

Then all you should need is to true your wheels once a year. Unless you're replacing spokes a bounce test won't be necessary anymore. I like Saphim, DT and WheelSmith spokes.
Well I pulled the trigger on some tools to true my wheels I thought if I'm going to stay in this hobby I'll need to learn how. I ordered a inexpensive truing stand some, spoke wrenches,a tension gauge,and a tire tool the only thing I didn't get was the dishing tool.

Well I pulled the trigger on some tools to true my wheels I thought if I'm going to stay in this hobby I'll need to learn how. I ordered a inexpensive truing stand some, spoke wrenches,a tension gauge,and a tire tool the only thing I didn't get was the dishing tool.
Was very busy, 1st of of the month thing with us fixed income people.

Here's a very affordable dishing tool

Minoura FCG-310 Foldable Wheel Dishing Tool https://a.co/d/fsSnXMD

Next watch lots of videos on how to true/build wheels. Then it's just a matter of practicing.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Was very busy, 1st of of the month thing with us fixed income people.

Here's a very affordable dishing tool

Minoura FCG-310 Foldable Wheel Dishing Tool https://a.co/d/fsSnXMD

Next watch lots of videos on how to true/build wheels. Then it's just a matter of practicing.
Very affordable indeed. Thank you.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
so I have bbr 3 star mag wheels, and the other day my sprocket kept coming loose, till I wasn’t able to tighten it anymore, the bolts stripped and I tried making new threads and it worked for a while but then got loose again, I even put slightly bigger bolts, long story short the holes where you screw in the bolts completely shattered everything else seems to be ok just the part as I’m the picture is trash,my mistake for not using thread locker I suppose, Is there any other way I can mount a sprocket to them without using the 6 holes?

Attachments

• IMG_3418.jpeg
    IMG_3418.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 6
Back