building a motorized bicycle, need help deciding on which motor should I buy?

Anything The_Aleman tells you, you should consider it as very good advice. His knowledge, experience and intelligence is impressive. We are very fortunate to have many experienced riders and builders on this group site, like him, willing to share their knowledge with us who are following behind them on this adventure journey.

When it comes to speed on these MAB's, you must ask yourself how fast are you willing to be going when you wreck them. I've already done a 55mph impact into an embankment where I decelerated to zero at impact. I'd advise against it!

I get the feeling she is no longer listening to our advice. Once I told her I wouldn't build her a bike that goes any faster than 35 and that she should take it slow, being a beginner, she hasn't responded since.

what do you guys think about the Franco morini? I actually had a dream that someone recommended some older scooter motors(the really good scooters, italian mostly) and this was one of them. sorry for not responding, I haven't been on lately.

Last edited:
They require welding and fabrication to install on a bicycle, and due to the power and speed they produce, every component needs to be heavy duty including the wheels, frame and brakes. Hydraulic disc brakes are recommended. These engines are also not recommended for beginner riders. I know being told to start out slow and easy is not what you want to hear. But if you can't weld and fabricate yourself, for what you would pay someone to build you a morini bike you might as well get a motorcycle and based on what you want, that is now my recommendation. It is not safe for a beginner rider to go 40-50mph on a bicycle. I strongly suggest you get a motorcycle because the cost is going to be the same for what you will spend to have a bicycle go that speed safely and reliably. At least if you get a motorcycle, you can take a beginners safety course for free. There aren't any safety courses for 50mph bicycles.

As with any hobby, there will always be those who expect too much, too soon. Just because it "can be done" does not mean that it "should" or that it's a good idea, especially for the inexperienced. And then you tell them to slow up a bit, and they don't want to listen. Smfh. And she doesn't even want to build it, but doesn't want an experienced builder like myself to build it for a fair price because I won't build her a 60mph death trap. But whatever, to each their own.

I am going to pay a company to build one for me, so I will not be putting this together myself. I have already picked out heavy duty parts which I knew I had to have from the beginning. I put together a quick sketch of the bike and some of the parts, though this is not a complete sketch and some of the parts are wrong(frame brand still needs to be selected, discovery of other motor types means more choices, 26" x 1.75" wide tires etc.), I will work with the company to select the rest of the parts when I get it built. Screenshot_2015-08-31-05-18-29.jpg

sorry if the pic is kind of blurry.

Last edited:
Go to mzmiami. They have they best price for frames with tank , motor mounts, disk brakes, but in $140.

hi. I ended up buying an awesome ridley vintage "the twin" bike from Craigslist. I am very pleased with the purchase. here is a link to the bike. http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com/motorbike/twin.htm

even though the motor is only a happy time motor, I am in love with the bike. Feels very solid, reliable, and the speed is decent. 35mph seems to be enough and I can always do adjustments in the future if I feel that I need to. :) Craigslist always treats me well.

Back