Bending muffler tube

graggy

Local time
3:13 AM
I know I’ve been asking a lot of questions on here but your responses are really helpful. Another question I have is that I put the muffler on and it is hitting the arm on the left side petal by about 1/4”. Can I heat this pipe up and just bend it in a little bit? What would be the best way to heat the plpe up to bend it? Here is a picture of where I want to bend the tube. I just need to bend it underneath the bike a little

Attachments

• IMG_2851.jpeg
    IMG_2851.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 59
I know the tube can be heated and bent inward...I will leave the "how to" to those that have actually had to do that since I have never had to do this myself on my builds, but then I am very fussy about the frames I use so I guess this is why I have never had to encounter this as a problem...lol.

I know I’ve been asking a lot of questions on here but your responses are really helpful. Another question I have is that I put the muffler on and it is hitting the arm on the left side petal by about 1/4”. Can I heat this pipe up and just bend it in a little bit? What would be the best way to heat the plpe up to bend it? Here is a picture of where I want to bend the tube. I just need to bend it underneath the bike a little
another option if you don't have to move it much is to elongage the holes in the muffler flange and move it around slightly on the bolts. Might be enough. I did have to bend mine and put it in a vice and heated it up with a torch. I will turn that part of the pipe purple / black / copper.

I am no expert with these, but the first mz65 clone had to be adjusted quite a bit, so I heated it with a torch in a few spots to bend it as needed. Discoloured the chrome, but I was painting it.

The 2nd one needed just a little adjustment and I didn't want to discolour it, so I bent it cold in the vise. Worked just fine.

I'm sure you know, don't try to bend it while attached to the motor. One exception to this is the tang that bolts to the clutch cover was out. So I heated it in place and carefully bent it while red hot to the correct location.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 57
This is another reason the BT80 is superior. It has a exhaust flange like a motorcycle so I can rotate the exhaust pipe around in the flange.

My Pk80 has a strengthened extension on the jug to make the exhaust connection stronger plug move the muffler out further-Gearhead437

You don't want to just heat and apply pressure; it'll kink the pipe. The best way to bend this is to use a conduit hickey bender as well as heating up the pipe.

1691777173291.png

I suggest searching for a used one on eBay.

I went ahead and heated up the exhaust on my phantom and bent it a slightly with a torch with no issues. It turns out that I can only follow 95% of expert advice given to me due to some sort of mental issue. Lol.

Yeah, when u didn't listen to these guys it came bake and bit me in the @$$ 🤣

It was more of a blessing in disguise. I wouldn't have near as beautiful of a bike as I do now 😆

No, these guys are great. I probably unwittingly rearranged the molecules of the sub structure of the exhaust port on the cylinder thus condemning my jug to premature failure.

And the punchline…I wasn’t able to achieve the ‘tucked in,’ parallel to the frame look that I somehow wanted. The exhaust has already been cut and re-welded (by muffler shop). Boy, they totally f-upped the angle and the exhaust was sticking out sideways (no charge). They re-welded it.

Had only I listened. In any event, to achieve the so called tucked in look I will take the exhaust off and put it in a vice to play with it some more. Thankfully, parts are reasonable…nyuk, nyuk.

Back