Anyone try a modern giant build?

bikeH0rn

Local time
5:25 PM
I want to build a decent new build using mostly brand new bits on the Giant Talon (3 or 4),

Has anyone had any luck using the giant rear hubs (assumed shimano) and the associated parts to mount a sprocket?

Should i forgo having rear disk, and build a rear hub brake drum wheel?

The gemini hub seems like a nice option, but me it cost $300... so there is that.

I would consider taking a china bottom end, and building a saw cylinder barrel, peewee80 top, with my own adapter.

...oooor, the minarelli and an adapter plate off the shelf.

... ooor an rdm plate w/c barrel. That's a long way off.

But a nice tank would suit this build, along with some pitbike bits and bobs.

Anyway- back to the original queery, has anyone tried a new giant bike as a base?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240206_120808_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240206_120808_Chrome.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 45
I'd always have a rear disc, it makes it way easier to install a sprocket anyway.

I just got a Phatmoto and love the way fat-tires/large frames ride.

Aluminum can work, but it's at higher risk for cracks.

You wont fit a china doll in that. A rear rack mount is possibile, a friction drive easiest. I would not recommend that frame however because it only has disc brakes for the rear.

An ebike conversion will be much smoother and honestly more useful. The buy in of a bafang bbshd or a toseven dm 02 and a safe and quality battery will be much higher.

but you wont be sorting out quality control of an engine, premixing, figuring a space to store the bike and spare fuel. Wont have to source ethanol free. Would be relatively light, only adding 15-20 pounds. Wont be shaking the frame around at a stand still. Rising fuel prices will have less of an effect because the fuel conventional power plants in north america use is super cheap: uranium, and natural gas.

A 90s mtb or a beach cruiser are the easiest production frames available, although building your own custom frame by hand by yourself is entirely possible.

You wont fit a china doll in that. A rear rack mount is possibile, a friction drive easiest. I would not recommend that frame however because it only has disc brakes for the rear.

An ebike conversion will be much smoother and honestly more useful. The buy in of a bafang bbshd or a toseven dm 02 and a safe and quality battery will be much higher.

but you wont be sorting out quality control of an engine, premixing, figuring a space to store the bike and spare fuel. Wont have to source ethanol free. Would be relatively light, only adding 15-20 pounds. Wont be shaking the frame around at a stand still. Rising fuel prices will have less of an effect because the fuel conventional power plants in north america use is super cheap: uranium, and natural gas.

A 90s mtb or a beach cruiser are the easiest production frames available, although building your own custom frame by hand by yourself is entirely possible.
Heh, my Electric bill is $700.

Electric doesn't have that fun factor if that is the goal, for me, I build for fun, not transportation.

I like not having battery fires. We have enough fires here. Sorry, but no. No electric. I will give petrol motor a redhot craic. I have one build at the moment with a 50mm downtube and i have built a custom mount using a 340kg AV lighting clamp...

Not here for easy. Love a challenge.

I'd always have a rear disc, it makes it way easier to install a sprocket anyway.

I just got a Phatmoto and love the way fat-tires/large frames ride.

Aluminum can work, but it's at higher risk for cracks.
Good thing Giant garantee their frames for life!

Right. So a surly, sully, worksman, sportsman or state bicycle co are the other options. This Giant is alloy, i know they make a steel frame, but i think its the momentum line.
Then I wouldn't. In order to fit a sprocket and brake on there you would need to stretch the rear, and I wouldn't recommend it on an aluminum frame

Back