Where do you ride? (road, side of road etc.)

In AZ, sidewalks are illegal for bicycles, period. I almost hit a bicyclist (who was) doing about 20mph on the sidewalk a few weeks ago. I was pulling out of a shopping center in my car and ZIP! past the hood of the car streaks a spandex Lance wannabe, about 10 feet from the street... Had I been going just a bit faster approaching the street, fender and bike would have been CLOSELY acquainted. And, to top it off, the moron gave me a dirty look as he whipped by.

In most states, the law says that bicycles should ride to the right, as close as is practical, NOT as close as is possible. Road debris, potholes, car doors, etc, make what might be possible, impractical.

Last edited:
Here in Idaho, it's really hit or miss all across the Treasure Valley how we can ride.

I ride on the right side of the street 98% of the time, the 2% being when it's a one way and I need to make a left turn.

Law states to ride in bike lanes on the right side (no motors on sidewalks), and if there is no bike lane, you have 3 feet from the gutter - road conditions taken into consideration. If it's raining out, I ride maxed at 3 feet from the gutter, if it's snowy, I ride in the furthest right tire track, if the roads are in bad condition, i'll stay as far left as possible and dodge to the right, so as to not dart into traffic, if there's no bike lane I'm about 1-2 feet from the edge of the rumble strip, if there's a curb and no bike lane I'm between 2-3 feet away from the curb, if there's cars parked in the bike lane, I'll ease into the street 30 yards before I pass the parked car so I don't dart into traffic.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but obviously it's a situational thing.

That's interesting; in all the threads where we discuss things that are all but mandatory, good lights, helmet, glasses, gloves, etc., I think this is the first time I've seen mirrors mentioned.

Yet mirrors would certainly fall into the "very highly recommended" category.

I've already got mine. A motorcycle mirror. I wouldn't ride without it. Those cagers need watching.

I am CONSTANTLY checking and adjusting my mirrors. They are 3" round and screw into the handlebar ends. I see cars coming up and make room for them.

The situation I wrote about is in my suburb on the outskirts of Atlanta where traffic is relatively light compared to Atlanta. I really want to try and commute to downtown Atlanta because I'm really hurting for gas money in my car these days. However, the idea of commuting in Atlanta is quite intimidating as Atlanta drivers are undeniably aggressive since everyone is trying to make lost time from the extreme traffic. Even on the neighborhood backroads, people go at a pretty good clip since everyone has a shortcut!

How do others cope with traveling in urban cities? I guess just get out there and do it.

Don't just get out there and do it! Too dangerous to do that.

Google on mapquest.com to find your routes to and from work. Drive your car slowly and carefully check out potholes and bad road patches. Jot down where the roads seem to become more hazardous for bikes, like merges, speed limits, long road stretches, etc. Watch how other bicyclists ride. When you get a chance, talk with them and ask how the ride into town is.

I commute in heavy traffic five miles to work. It took me years to find the safest and fastest routes to and from town. The routes changed as I become more confident and my MB got faster. I ALWAYS have to remember where the worst potholes and bad road patches were.

When traffic gridlocks in town, I claim the lane because no one can overtake me anyway. They issue tickets to bikes on sidewalks in downtown Honolulu and Waikiki, but not the suburbs. If it's raining, I ride on the sidewalk or bikepath at slow speed(not downtown).

To ride safely in my town, I need to claim the lane. To avoid door openers, pedestrians and merging cars , I always ride the second lane from the curb.

In order to ride safely in fast traffic and claim the lane, you have to be able to accelerate quickly and maintain the speed limit. My bike must also be able to travel five miles faster than that limit. That prevents cars from crowding you. If they buzz past you while you're 5mph over, they look bad, not you.

No one crowds me while I claim the lane. I think they're afraid to run me over if I fall.:whistle:

Death is my co-pilot. He waits patiently for me to make a fatal mistake.

My ancestors also ride alongside me. They warn me of upcoming danger.

Angels and the devil riding on my shoulders.:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
At certain areas, it is so stressful (and dangerous)to ride with cars, that I hop onto the sidewalk. Instead of racing ahead of the pack to the traffic light at the bottom of the hill, I ride slowly down the long stretch of sidewalk which no one uses. Most times, instead of riding up the gridlocked hill, I choose the dirt path right next to the asphalt. At the hilltop, I wait for the red light, then blaze down the stretch. I have enough of a head start that traffic cannot catch up to me.

When I'm nearing home, I cruise in the bike lane @15-20mph, just to reflect on my ride. A block from home, I hop onto the sidewalk and ride home at jogging speed.

Just Ride It.

OK Guy's, Now try doing all the things you've discussed here on THIS. I had a cop once tell me "Your gonna die on that thing" But it sure it a kick to ride anyway. Right now, with a new 49cc, it's hitting just under 30mph.
Big Red.

Attachments

• SUNP0027.jpg
    SUNP0027.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 231
OK Guy's, Now try doing all the things you've discussed here on THIS. I had a cop once tell me "Your gonna die on that thing" But it sure it a kick to ride anyway. Right now, with a new 49cc, it's hitting just under 30mph.
Big Red.

Looks to wide for my type of riding. The narrow profile of a bicycle is a major safety advantage since it allows the rider to get in and out of situations quickly.

I wouldn't dream of riding something sitting so low to the ground in traffic. I guess it depends on the riding conditions mostly, but I've rode in downtown Atlanta before several times and wouldn't attempt it on that for sure:unsure:.

I'd rather drive on of those yerf-dog go karts with suspension, but of course that's illegal!

On The Road.

Yeah, ya really gotta keep yer eyes open when yer riding something that low. I got a 6 foot pole with a flag and a light which helps. BUT, I still don't take ANY chances. I'll go around a block rather than take on a bad intersection or whatever. Been riding her for almost 2 years now and no major problems.
Big Red.

Back