Where do you ride? (road, side of road etc.)

I read that some members have bikes that can really keep up with traffic around 45mph, and that they ride in the lanes. I just wonder how cars would know the bike is slowing down since most riders don't install rear brake lights on their bikes. This also motivates me to stay to the right.
The same way they know you're slowing down @ 35 mph or 25 mph.

Hand signals!!

Hand signals instantly mean... BRAKE!! to a driver.

The same way they know you're slowing down @ 35 mph or 25 mph.

Hand signals!!

Hand signals instantly mean... BRAKE!! to a driver.

Haha, yeah I'm pretty good about turn signaling and stuff like that.

I got some inspiration this morning when driving to dwntwn Atlanta I passed, and got re-passed again by a bicyclist several times in the downtown area.

He had a really hi-vis orange jacket and rode on the right, but when the cars stopped at the intersection, he would get on the sidewalk and go straight through the intersection when all the light were red for a second, he apparently had the timing down to a science because he never stopped moving for at least 5 lights(solid mile) while other drivers and I sat at each light.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good driver will know you are braking because the distance between you (several seconds at least) is closing. But hand or brake signals help the learning impaired who have managed to aquire operators licenses.

I ride in the road, in the lane, like I own it, because I do. I'll move for murderous drivers, obstacles, dead animals, and texting/sleeping drivers, but it's my lane. I try to avoid the fastest or highest trafficked roads, and use my MB's low pedal gear and off-road tread tires to navigate through surface streets, alleys, grassy areas, "closed" roads, and county roads to avoid traffic when reasonable.

Last edited:
thats a situational question. depends on the road and traffic. im all over. own that ****!

13 miles one way, 13 the other on my daily commute, day and night driving. i ride the shoulder the whole way both ways, moving out into the lane for bridges because they fill the shoulder with reflectors, and at night if its absolutely clear i'll whip it out into the middle of the lane and enjoy for a bit.

Here in Oregon, as I am sure in other states, they have a bike lane...so I ride in there. If something becomes a problem or I see " The Man " I either kill the engine or " ghost peddle ". Here in Oregon it seems it is up to the mood of the PO-PO whether or not you get pulled over and whatnot. Since I have actually been riding for only 1 week total, I have been getting used to riding in traffic and I pick roads that are not traffic heavy. I guess that is where common sense kicks in ( or it should ).

--Eric--

After years of motorized bike riding, I finally avoid the bike paths. However, if there is gridlock, I WILL ride the path at a very slow speed until I pass the traffic jam.
I will, on occasion, ride the bike lane. Mainly, I claim the second lane from the curb, to avoid cars pulling onto the road.

Back