My new PK80 "Wildcat's" 2nd gallon of fuel; ya think this is OK?

markjs

Local time
5:44 AM
Well 20:1 was the first, and it has noticeably improved performance wise in just riding through the first two thirds of it. I got my can ready to go up and get more. I do notice four stroking in the low RPM and just below WOT. I live in hill country and she's had to do more WOT than I'd like, but she seems to handle it fine, no signs of soft seizure, though first time I really did that, I did stop and let her cool halfway through the trip.

She started off (41 tooth that comes with California Motorbikes kit), getting killed on small hills, needing pedal assist. Now she chugs along 15mph, sometimes 10-12mph (approx, I have no certain idea), and yesterday only a very steep but short hill did she need pedal assist at all. The important part is with my help she still chugged up a very steep grade, did not die, and took over at top where it got more gradual, so I was impressed!

On these country roads some places WOT is necessary for some element of safety; there are motorized bicycles other than mine, and it's not uncommon, so they expect to see you go fast if you are on one. I'm a pretty big guy and I did go by a radar. Top speed on really flat ground but bad road seems about 30-32. I think I have had her up to nearly 35 on a downhill, but on a rigid, on our s**tty "chip seal" roads, well, it's not pleasant.

Anyway, I have been dreading changing the carb needle, or worse yet ordering jets. I suspect just the needle and finishing breaking it in (her name is "Manx", since she's a wild cat), will do the trick. I just HATED trying to get the cable and washer right, it's so small, my fingers hate it. I probably got to do it though, just putting it off.

So my plan and my question (and there is time to change my mind) was to bump up to 25:1 for second gallon, in part because I think it's OK, and in part to see if the 4 stroking gets worse? anyway is that safe? I mean I may change the needle setting before that anyway, but just to really kinda get it dialed in...

Mind you I just filled it up, from the last third of my gallon can, so she has that to drink first anyway. Average temp around here hasn't exceeded 80 of late, but has hovered around there in the hottest part of day.

Thanks.

Oh also I have found it will not start with the choke on? maybe it's just a summer thing? So I never bother. It runs like crap til it's warm though. Luckily my neighborhood is flatter than the rest of the area, kinda on top of a plateau area...

Will I need it this winter? Average winter temp prolly like 38f.

Speaking of... LoL

Oh also I have found it will not start with the choke on? maybe it's just a summer thing? So I never bother. It runs like crap til it's warm though. Luckily my neighborhood is flatter than the rest of the area, kinda on top of a plateau area...

Will I need it this winter? Average winter temp prolly like 38f.

Speaking of... LoL

I never need choke in 70* and above

It should be fine raising the needle. Did you change the plug to a NGK BR6HS?
Yes I did. I'm more concerned with if 25:1 is OK and next gallon to 32:1? I can always add another ounce, on gallon two if there seems reason to, I just don't think it needs it. But you folks know more than I do about 2 strokes at least.

Keeping the China plug for backup, if the one in it dies, to ride to the parts store to get another NGK, lol. I thought about buying two but then I was like "gives the China plug a reason to live and have hope", lol...

Thining out to 25 to 1 should be just fine. My bike is full broke in and I found it like 34 to 1 oil mix. Any more is spits tons of oil out the exhaust. It still spits oil, but not alot(I mixed it that way so I know it's still getting plenty of oil)

Yes I did. I'm more concerned with if 25:1 is OK and next gallon to 32:1? I can always add another ounce, on gallon two if there seems reason to, I just don't think it needs it. But you folks know more than I do about 2 strokes at least.
I have read 25:1 for break in many times but some guys run 40:1 cradle to grave. Now I do not recommend this but I am a Jr. Technician working primarily with industrial control panels not an auto mechanic or engineer.

I noticed the idle was high at the gas station, set it down some, where it seemed right to me. There was a cop there. Didn't say a word! I think because he knows I'm motorcycle endorsed. I expect he might have if not for that fact.

Anyway when I rode away, the first time I clutched it, and it died, so I had to set it up then back down a tad, and now seems perfect to me, but I figured I'd ask the "experts"?

Is that about right?

Back