Well the PK80 Wildcat, has impressed me!

markjs

Local time
8:21 AM
So my u-lock seized, had to have a friend with a grinder and cutting wheel, help me steal my own bike!

So today, I took my first trip down the biggest hill in town to the hardware store to get a lock. I've been fearing the bike wouldn't be able to make the hill. Had I took the most direct hill, it wouldn't have. It's 88F today too, so I was nervous I'd have to walk part of it. Anyway, the main drag hill is much longer but more gradual.

I thought I'd make a run on the flat, get it to top sppeed/rpm to tackle the hill. Unfortunately caught the light red. There's only a short flat before the hill. Well, I didn't get the rpm or speed I wanted, but her mighty little engine and 41 tooth sprocket, had just enough to grunt up that hill at 15mph. It was wot, and a long hill, but she did it, and showed no sign of issues. I really like this little thing!

So my u-lock seized, had to have a friend with a grinder and cutting wheel, help me steal my own bike!

So today, I took my first trip down the biggest hill in town to the hardware store to get a lock. I've been fearing the bike wouldn't be able to make the hill. Had I took the most direct hill, it wouldn't have. It's 88F today too, so I was nervous I'd have to walk part of it. Anyway, the main drag hill is much longer but more gradual.

I thought I'd make a run on the flat, get it to top sppeed/rpm to tackle the hill. Unfortunately caught the light red. There's only a short flat before the hill. Well, I didn't get the rpm or speed I wanted, but her mighty little engine and 41 tooth sprocket, had just enough to grunt up that hill at 15mph. It was wot, and a long hill, but she did it, and showed no sign of issues. I really like this little thing!
From the sound of your dilemma, you need a 3 speed IGH jackshaft transmission and a tachometer. Then you'll be able to climb the steep hills without sacrificing top level ground speed.

From the sound of your dilemma, you need a 3 speed IGH jackshaft transmission and a tachometer. Then you'll be able to climb the steep hills without sacrificing top level ground speed.
I might, but I don't mind this; 15MPH is pretty good, that's a fairly steep hill and a damn long one! Like you just get thinking "sooner or later she won't make it" but it just keeps grunting up. Plus I don't like the idea of having to pedal start. I imagine when it's broken in fully it will do even a little better.

Then when I can afford I want a Minarelli cylinder, or engine (PK80 Wildcat Minarelli Hybrid for $200). Probably have to upgrade the clutch too. That should pull 20, maybe 25 up that hill (speed limit for cars is only 30MPH).

I was so impressed I went for another ride, just to do that hill again. Didn't really make any difference getting the "top speed" head start. It takes full throttle to get up that hill, but it goes as fast as it goes. as long as you can get around 4K it seems to grunt up at around 4k, the whole way, it didn't need full 6K+ rpm, really made no difference at all, which is good because that light is really busy, apt to catch you most times.

I will say, hilly as it is around here, the mileage is probably a LOT poorer than most of you guys get. I doubt I have gone more than 50 (60 max, but I no way believe that) miles, maybe as few as 45, and I went through a gallon already. LOTS of hills, not all steep, but many long as hell. Lot's of deceptive slight upgrades too.

I think those are Runwell pk80s. I figured out that that is what my first kit is on my Kent. That thing runs great and is a beast in the low end range. Those engines come with the 41 tooth sprocket. Have you had the cylinder off? The Runwells have no writing on the con rod.

I think those are Runwell pk80s. I figured out that that is what my first kit is on my Kent. That thing runs great and is a beast in the low end range. Those engines come with the 41 tooth sprocket. Have you had the cylinder off? The Runwells have no writing on the con rod.
Yeah, to install the piston, head, and jug, but I don't recall.

Another good option rather than building a shifter bike is to add an front electric hub motor to assist your engine when going up hills. Using the electric motor only to assist the engine during hill climbing will increase the amount of time between battery chargings. You could even go one better by getting a tachometer then only kicking in the electric assist when the engine rpm at full throttle drops to a certain point while hill climbing

Another good option rather than building a shifter bike is to add an front electric hub motor to assist your engine when going up hills. Using the electric motor only to assist the engine during hill climbing will increase the amount of time between battery chargings. You could even go one better by getting a tachometer then only kicking in the electric assist when the engine rpm at full throttle drops to a certain point while hill climbing
Two reasons I probably won't (though the idea of a front wheel drive or two wheel drive electric has appeal), one, I just can't afford the batteries!

Also I especially would have a hard time; I'm too paranoid to trust Lithium Ion, and not patient enough to sit there and watch it charge for six hours, and so would stick to more expensive Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, which last longer, but are also heavier/lower capacity. The do allow a lot more recharge cycles though so I guess that sorta makes up for the greater expense.

Still when cost/ patience, and all that is figured, Gas bikes appeal to me much more.

It's also cool cuz I heard cops don't care around here, but now I have experienced three times. Local cops had every opportunity and the apparent time to stop of bother me, and haven't even really looked funny at me. So as long as it's legal or at least tolerated, I like to take advantage of it.

Not 100% though, so far have only encountered city cops, which in theory would likely be tougher to be ignored by than Sheriffs, but I will just have to wait and see...

Personally I am all for doing what one can to be "cleaner" for the environment, but in truth even running a non EPA approved, tiny 66cc two stroke, probably has my emissions much less than a larger car or MC. I believe in responsible environmentalism, not this silly pie in the sky stuff. I guess in the end a 2 stroke isn't a clean machine, but as poor as I am I'm not gonna waste too much time feeling guilty about it.

Two reasons I probably won't (though the idea of a front wheel drive or two wheel drive electric has appeal), one, I just can't afford the batteries!

Also I especially would have a hard time; I'm too paranoid to trust Lithium Ion, and not patient enough to sit there and watch it charge for six hours, and so would stick to more expensive Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, which last longer, but are also heavier/lower capacity. The do allow a lot more recharge cycles though so I guess that sorta makes up for the greater expense.

Still when cost/ patience, and all that is figured, Gas bikes appeal to me much more.

It's also cool cuz I heard cops don't care around here, but now I have experienced three times. Local cops had every opportunity and the apparent time to stop of bother me, and haven't even really looked funny at me. So as long as it's legal or at least tolerated, I like to take advantage of it.

Not 100% though, so far have only encountered city cops, which in theory would likely be tougher to be ignored by than Sheriffs, but I will just have to wait and see...

Personally I am all for doing what one can to be "cleaner" for the environment, but in truth even running a non EPA approved, tiny 66cc two stroke, probably has my emissions much less than a larger car or MC. I believe in responsible environmentalism, not this silly pie in the sky stuff. I guess in the end a 2 stroke isn't a clean machine, but as poor as I am I'm not gonna waste too much time feeling guilty about it.
From your description of your situations it seems you need a lower ratio for hill climbing. If you're willing to sacrifice some level ground top speed this would be your cheapest route.

Building a shifter will cost a fairly good bit as well.

Building an electric front hub can be done fairly easily and since you're only using the electric hub to assist the engine you won't need a very large ah battery. Thus cutting down on charge time, weight, and expense. By using a tach like I talked about, you'll just have to throttle in enough e-assist to bring the rpm back to the cruise level while at engine full throttle. So you could ride a lot before the battery needs to be charged again.

With this hobby the solutions can often mean having to dig into your pockets some. Still this is better than burning up clutches regularly.

Back