Stranded with a seized motor

Seems like the bumps were throwing the clutch around the teeth were grinding off the casing

Attachments

• 20240331_182505.jpg
    20240331_182505.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 34
Turning from the magnet side moves the crank, but not freely. I looked under my clutch cover again and I'm noticing some metal shavings that are probably stopping it from turning freely.
I don't think you're following what I'm saying. You need to loosen the clutch plate if you're going to try and move the crank freely. Metal shavings from the clutch and the crank aren't correlated, especially when the clutch is disengaged. I'm repeating myself at this point, it's useless.

I don't think you're following what I'm saying. You need to loosen the clutch plate if you're going to try and move the crank freely. Metal shavings from the clutch and the crank aren't correlated, especially when the clutch is disengaged. I'm repeating myself at this point, it's useless.
He got it going.

He said it freewheeled the chain fine when the clutch was pulled- the same result as removing the clutch flower nut.

Metal shavings were binding up the cone/clutch gear, you cannot "disconnect" those gears so it was keeping the crank from spinning because the crank is connected to the cone gear.

He's probably going to need a plate and pads, but the metal could have come from sprue.

He got it going.

He said it freewheeled the chain fine when the clutch was pulled- the same result as removing the clutch flower nut.

Metal shavings were binding up the cone/clutch gear, you cannot "disconnect" those gears so it was keeping the crank from spinning because the crank is connected to the cone gear.

He's probably going to need a plate and pads, but the metal could have come from sprue.
No.

The clutch basket is in three parts but two main parts. The basket itself which are the teeth, and then the backing plate which is what is bolted down to the clutch assembly. When the clutch is disengaged and you are walking the bike, the backing plate (the center) spins, and not the teeth.

When the clutch is disengaged and the clutch plate is pressed against the pads, when the bike is moved foward, this causes A) Drivechain to move and B) Crank to move. This is why you can't move the bike forward so easy, because everything is moving including the cranks compression moving against you.

When you disengage the clutch, it allows you to move the bike freely, why? Because ONLY the center (backing plate) is moving. The teeth aren't spinning against the small bevel gear, which in turn spins the crank.

It works opposite. When you disengage the clutch, you can rotate the crank without the bike moving because the small bevel gear is going to spin only against the teeth. This allows you spin the crank over, without the bike moving, because the clutch is disengaged.

Attachments

• IMG_20240317_010730408.jpg
    IMG_20240317_010730408.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 16
No.

The clutch basket is in three parts but two main parts. The basket itself which are the teeth, and then the backing plate which is what is bolted down to the clutch assembly. When the clutch is disengaged and you are walking the bike, the backing plate (the center) spins, and not the teeth.

When the clutch is disengaged and the clutch plate is pressed against the pads, when the bike is moved foward, this causes A) Drivechain to move and B) Crank to move. This is why you can't move the bike forward so easy, because everything is moving including the cranks compression moving against you.

When you disengage the clutch, it allows you to move the bike freely, why? Because ONLY the center (backing plate) is moving. The teeth aren't spinning against the small bevel gear, which in turn spins the crank.

It works opposite. When you disengage the clutch, you can rotate the crank without the bike moving because the small bevel gear is going to spin only against the teeth. This allows you spin the crank over, without the bike moving, because the clutch is disengaged.
I guess you missed the part that jug off, it still wasn't spinning.

Back