Trailmate Meteor & Gas Power

Engine...

Thanks for the kind words, patrickw

I ended up getting into the whole motorizing because of beth, she is pretty clumsy to begin with and now that she has MS its like watching a 3 year old running around. All we can do is laugh,

I will probably re-work the rear mount a little bit and get the engine straighter, better for the 4 stroke , 2 stroke you can run the things almost upside down !!!!!!

I will probably add the fairing next and maybe during fall, change out those rear wheels to 24inch..

You must have a fine Lady, there, Vegas. Google the 'RobinUSA' site (I think that is how it is listed) for the scoop on the Robin-Subaru EH035 4-Stroke specs. They have color diagrams on there about the oiling and lubrication system, with excellent explanations. Unlike other small engines, it is much the same as an automobile motor with real oil passages, check valves, anti-backflow areas...quite sofisticated. Not just a 'splash system' like most engines it's size. And yes, it Will run upsidedown if necessary. <grin>

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Fairing And Canopy...

Vegas...The "Magic 8-Ball" says...'Chances Aren't Too Good'. Unless, you can get that fairing up high enough over the front lip of the canopy, and secure the two together; even then, it would be 'iffy.' The problem is with the wind getting up under the canopy and lifting it (this is what takes roofs off of buildings in a hurricane); or, even rushing over the top of it at sufficient speed for it to raise up (this is most of what gives airplanes the ability to fly.) Ride in a convertible with the top up and going at a good speed. If you look up, you will actually see the cloth lift up slightly.

Alaska...btw, I really think that fairing you have is waaaay too cool!

Vegas...I know what the issues are for your wife and the sun, and heat in general, due to the MS, medications, and other treatments. [Unfortunately, my very fondest nephew (the one I stood up for and sponsored at his Confirmation) had MS.] The fairing you picked out should do the job of blocking the wind and things quite well, and would be the least costly of your choices, but I just don't think that canopy would stay put at anywhere near 20 mph.

P.S. Make sure you tell her every day how much you love her. It will be the very best medication she can get.

I thought the 8 BALL would say something like that !!!!

but it would have turned heads before blowing of to visit the wonderful wizard of OZ...

Hi van, want you up to, getting ready for a visit from augidog !!!!

yea, if i put one of those full fairings on it wouldnt last 2 days in my garage, so the cheaper and little bit smaller the better.

Fairing & Canopy...

You could always hook up that fairing that looks pretty rigid, then rig up your own canopy (out of much cheaper materials and see how, and if, it works.) That way, you wouldn't risk a lot of expensive stuff. Sound like a plan? After the fairing is installed, sit back, and study what you have...and how the wind might work on it. Make some cheap corrigated cardboard mock-ups from refrigerator cartons begged from a local appliance store or Home Depot, and some wood dowels just to see how it works. Don't be in a hurry, and don't rush. Once you get it, it will be clear as a bell.

Academy, and other sporting goods stores, will sell you flexible fiberglass wands and mounting hardware for them. Two of those mounted at angles slightly outward and arcing up behind the seat, forward to attachment points for the front of the bike could make a good, lightweight, fairly stiff and stable support for a fabric sun roof.

Fairing and Canopy...

Good idea Simon...don't ya just wish we could be there in the garage, when this build was being finished? We could stand back when it was done as Vegas' wife pedaled off under her new canopy, protected from the sun, looking thru her new fairing, with a big grin on her face and say, "There she goes. Enjoy!!!!) I guess I get a little carried away, almost maudlin at times; but, it does my old heart good.

Last edited:
Vegas...P.S. I would bow to Simon's opinion, anytiime. He is a Guru, to be certain. Listen, hide, and ,watch. You can learn a lot here. Take what I suggested, couple it with the rest of the good advice, and you will do very well...I'm sure.

PatrickW

Last edited:
Very nice build Patrick! I was going to build a trike like that for my wife after she took a spill on here 2 wheeled bike last summer. It sure looks nice and comfy to ride too! Did you ever put that 18 tooth sprocket on the gearbox? Again nice build!

Back