Trailmate Meteor & Gas Power

Totally Final Addition

This is a copy of the email I sent to Dave Staton, including pictutes. I thought that some of you might be interested in how this whole build turned out, and what the finished product might look like...along with stupid builder.

"Dave--
I am really sorry that I have not gotten back to you before now, but due to health problems and other obstacles I have been very slow in correspondence. I did not want to write to you till I had something substantial to say.

Yes, I had to make quite a few modifications to your mounting bracket and braces (since the first picts I took) to make it work on the Trailmate Meteor. I had to move all of the mounting points around to take into account an "extra" bar that the Trailmate Meteor has, that the Sun, et. al. do not have. You should see that in the photos. Without moving the attachment points for the all thread, I would not have been able to get clearance for the drive chain under that bar, and keep the motor reasonably level. It would have hung too low in the back, and even changing the main mounting bracket wouldn't have helped (even if I had the equipment to do that.) But everything worked out okay in the end, and the whole mount is snug and secure.

I switched the lightweight 20" aluminum rear wheels for some husky skyway mag/composite wheels and tougher tires and tubes. I plan to change the front wheel to one a little larger than the 16" one that is on it now, but that will take a slight fork extension and some brake changes. So, I'll hold off on that one for now.

Another modification was made necessary when a well-intentioned neighbor walked over to the garage to check on my progress and accidentally knocked the kill switch onto the floor. In his attempt to pick it up, he managed to step on it. (Go figure!) Since it was 'f.u.b.a.r,' I just tossed it in the trash. A quick trip to Radio Shack, tho, and he bought me a heavy-duty toggle switch and small, weather-proof utility box. I soldered the connections, put it together using clear silicone, and mounted it on the frame slightly under the seat for extra protection. It is, however, quite accessible.

I have taken as many detailed and up-close picts as I thought necessary to show the final build with modifications, and am sending them along to you. I will also post a copy of this email and attachments on the forum at Motoredbikes.com. The engine is running fine and is just about what I'd call fully broken in. I have taken it in stages so I wouldn't burn anything up, and have changed the oil several times since I started riding it (she only takes about 3 1/2 oz. and is cheap insurance.) I did, however, get a local Deputy to clock me on the radar for a ¼ mile stretch on a flat road...42mph. The Meteor is quite stable at that speed. It was not 'over-responsive', and not the least bit skittish (altho I would not run it at that speed for long.)

Engine and gearbox seem to be just fine, but the (4) rear axle bearings are going to have to be beefed up. It cruises quite comfy at 25-30 mph. I am sending a mess of picts so you can see what I have done. Hope this helps on your next bracket for the Trailmate Meteor...it seems to be just an odd horse apart from the rest of the trikes.

Thanks for everything, Dave. I will contact you soon with the back-up parts I need (like extra chain, chain breaker, collars and a few other things.) God Bless.

Attachments

• Kill_Switch.jpg
    Kill_Switch.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 547
  • Me & Meteor.jpg
    Me & Meteor.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 638
  • Meteor1.jpg
    Meteor1.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 726
  • Meteor2.JPG
    Meteor2.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 525
  • Meteor3.JPG
    Meteor3.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 524
  • Meteor4.jpg
    Meteor4.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 723
  • Meteor5.JPG
    Meteor5.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 532
  • Meteor6.JPG
    Meteor6.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 722
Last edited:
I guess this is finally it for this one, so I guess it is on to the next one! However, gotta go enjoy this one somemore, first. I think I'll try a small 4 cycle on a little 20" I have molding in the garage...who knows?

Last edited:
Nice work, Patrick. Very clean, well thought out and carefully executed. That thing is a blast to ride, I'd bet.

Patrick

One more note on The Meteor Build...

Here is a short paragraph from the e-mail I sent Dave Staton about the fit of his motor and gear box combination he put together for my Meteor build.

Another modification was made necessary when a well-intentioned neighbor walked over to the garage to check on my progress and accidentally knocked the kill switch onto the floor. In his attempt to pick it up, he managed to step on it. (Go figure!) Since it was 'fubar,' I just tossed it in the trash. Made a quick trip to Radio Shack, tho, and he bought me a heavy-duty toggle switch and small, weather- proof utility box. I soldered the connections, put it together using clear silicone, and I mounted it on the frame slightly under the seat for extra protection. It is, however, quite accessible.

Well, it is amazing how this MB movement is catching on. The neighbor who fubared my kill switch ran past the garage the other day, actually doing some stunt riding, no less, on his own MB. I got a picture of him, and I'll try and post it here.

Attachments

• Neighbor.jpg
    Neighbor.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
hi patrick, just one question,

i take it looking from the pics that resizing to the 24 inch rear wheel didnt change the geometry of the trike too much. I like the idea of the slightly larger rear wheels my wifes trike has 20 inch all the way around, so going to 24 at the rear is certainly doable but then i would have to put a governer on the thing.....

Gearing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspaddy
hi patrick, just one question,

i take it looking from the pics that resizing to the 24 inch rear wheel didnt change the geometry of the trike too much. I like the idea of the slightly larger rear wheels my wifes trike has 20 inch all the way around, so going to 24 at the rear is certainly doable but then i would have to put a governer on the thing.....

Which trike does she have...there are subtle diferences not readily seen. And, just what sort of drive "gearing" are you using from the output shaft of the motor to the rear axle? As you can tell from the pics, I have an 18.75 : 1 Staton gearbox between the centrifugal clutch on the engine, to a 14 tooth takoff gear on the box, and chain to the 16 tooth freewheel on the axle shaft using 24" mag/composite wheels and tires, which are larger than the 20" stock aluminum. This is currently giving me a Max. 42+/-mph speed tru a flat 1/4 mile road with the 25 lb motor/gearbox, 72 lb. trike, 210 lb (stupid) rider, and a full tank of gas. I also have an 18 tooth takeoff gear for the gearbox, but I have some trepedation to putting it on. (It will install/adjust in just under 10 minutes flat, and probably kill me in less.) As for "Governor", while breaking it in, I did slip several, large, rubber ball point pen grips (each about two inches long and an 1/8 inch thick,) one over the other to build up about a half inch thick "tube" and slipped it over the long, thumb throttle lever so it couldn't go down all the way. Then, periodically pealed them off, one after the other, until the motor was fully broken in (oil change with each tube 3 1/2 oz. cheap insurance) until I could press the throttle lever all the way down to the wide open stop. Works like a charm every time.

Last edited:
Wife's Trike...

hi patrickw this is the wifes trike,

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=16269

talking governer, putting the larger wheels on there will make the trike go faster, 15 mph is plenty fast for her........

I had a chance today to read the total thread and attendant links on your wife's trike. That is a Toatally Beautiful Build on your wife's trike. I am sure you found David's kit complete and not too difficult to install...he does quality work, and will stand behind you and his product 100%...no questions asked. He is an A-1 Straight Shooter.

That little Robin-Subaru EH035 may look small, but combined with his custom milled gear box, the combination is bulletproof!

You will find that if you study it, and think out the mounting points, you can get that motor and gearbox just about level with the ground. He will help you all he can via e-mail or phone. Take a look at the way I mounted mine on the Meteor...had to move some of the mounting points all over.

As far as gearing for your wife, you can swap out the main drive gear from the gear box to the freewheel for a smaller one to give you 'more torque, less speed', or a larger one for 'More speed, less torque.' Once you take that little chain guard off (two nuts and bolts), it takes only a few minutes swapping out the drive gear and re-tensioning the chain. With that little setup, you can have her going at top speeds of 5mph to 45mph in nothing flat. It is a quiet and smooth assembly.

The bottom line is, "Yes," 24" wheels and tires on the rear will give the trike a slight 'hot-rod' rake, and add a few miles per hour. That can all be taken care of in the sizing of main drive gear on the take-off shaft of the gear box. David can guide you quite nicely to get exactly what you want. To get the proper reading on the speedo, simply re-calibrate according to the little chart that came with the thing. Just remember to set it according to the size of the drive wheel, and not the size of the front wheel.

I can tell by your work, comments, and and attention to details that you love each other very muc...that is a 'Good' thing, and that project will probably draw you two even closer together...I llke that.

I hope I have answered your quiry correctly this time. Any other questions or comments, PM anytime.

PatrickW.

Thanks for the kind words, patrickw

I ended up getting into the whole motorizing because of beth, she is pretty clumsy to begin with and now that she has MS its like watching a 3 year old running around. All we can do is laugh,

I will probably re-work the rear mount a little bit and get the engine straighter, better for the 4 stroke , 2 stroke you can run the things almost upside down !!!!!!

I will probably add the fairing next and maybe during fall, change out those rear wheels to 24inch..

Back