Questions on setup for low/mid range power

If there's hills near where I live Torque will win out over speed any day.

The idea of having gears is sure attractive. I have a 52T on a 29er and a 48T on 27.5. Enough for the steepest hills around here. They each have longish intakes with MZ65 clone pipes.

Would be great to have a gear or two to get some speed out of it without having to wind it up to the point it starts to ring and vibrate. Nice to keep it in that lower rpm band where it sounds good, has lots of torque and is very responsive.
Just not up for spending the money on one of the three speed hubs everyone mentions on here.

The idea of having gears is sure attractive. I have a 52T on a 29er and a 48T on 27.5. Enough for the steepest hills around here. They each have longish intakes with MZ65 clone pipes.

Would be great to have a gear or two to get some speed out of it without having to wind it up to the point it starts to ring and vibrate. Nice to keep it in that lower rpm band where it sounds good, has lots of torque and is very responsive.
Just not up for spending the money on one of the three speed hubs everyone mentions on here.
This is one of the great things about the P-85 motors like the ones that @ImpulseRocket and I both have...Great low end torque and excellent throttle response using low RPMs throughout the different speeds one wishes to cruise around at without winding out the motor all the time and not needing to complicate the bike with gearing since it just isn't necessary to have gears with this motor.

That is compelling to have a 36 T and still have hill climbing power. 20% grades and steeper are common here on secondary roads but if you say it has the output, that would be great.

That is compelling to have a 36 T and still have hill climbing power. 20% grades and steeper are common here on secondary roads but if you say it has the output, that would be great.
With my P-85, 36t sprocket, I go up and down into the foot hills of the Sacramento Mtns. that are surrounding me...I especially like going to the Space Museum here in Alamogordo which is situated up into the foot hills and I do not have to pedal assist getting up there either...lol.

The gearing ability would still benefit a motor like the Phantom to some degree. What you don't really need is the ability to shift gears while riding, but having a low range option could never hurt.

The gearing ability would still benefit a motor like the Phantom to some degree. What you don't really need is the ability to shift gears while riding, but having a low range option could never hurt.
Or an over drive.
Where I live the low gearing is appreciated because of the hills and generally slower speeds navigating the pot holes. The roads here are terrible. Like they paved them in the 60's and have patched them since. You get a couple guys throwing a few shovels full of asphalt in the holes and that's it.

What I would like is the ability to go from say a 52 or 48 T to a 44 or 40 T. For use on the rare flat where the surface is good to lower the rpm and increase the speed. Easier said than done with the limited space available.

Back