Sprocket offset

graggy

Local time
2:14 PM
How can I tell which way to put the sprocket on my wheel. With the sprocket offset towards the spokes or away from the spokes So I can possibly only have to put it on once with rag joint? I don’t know if this will help but here’s a picture of the bike I’m using

Attachments

• IMG_2876.png
    IMG_2876.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
Look at the rear chain stays, if they have a steep angle in toward the bottom bracket, most likely the offset will have to go in to keep the chain away from the frame. It's a big issue with older skinny tired bikes.

Look at the rear chain stays, if they have a steep angle in toward the bottom bracket, most likely the offset will have to go in to keep the chain away from the frame. It's a big issue with older skinny tired bikes.
I’m not sure what you’re saying. Could you tell by this picture? This is the bike I’m planning to use

Attachments

• IMG_2876.png
    IMG_2876.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 74
That's fine. Once you have the wheel off, lay the piece of rubber with the gear on top and look across the wheel to see which side is going to have the least interference.

That's fine. Once you have the wheel off, lay the piece of rubber with the gear on top and look across the wheel to see which side is going to have the least interference.
The least interference with the tire? That would be putting the offset away from the spokes wouldn’t it? Or are you saying take the wheel off and lay the rubber and sprocket against the wheel and put the wheel back on and try to tell?

The least interference with the tire? That would be putting the offset away from the spokes wouldn’t it? Or are you saying take the wheel off and lay the rubber and sprocket against the wheel and put the wheel back on and try to tell?
Least interference period, is what you're looking for. The straightest line from the drive sprocket to the wheel sprocket. Most builds I have seen have the offset towards the spokes. On mine it's that way and I have a straight line from the front to the wheel sprocket. The offset is nowhere near enough to bring my chain too close to my tires, which are 2"ers.

In the instructions (that I've never gone by) that I have it says to put the bevel out. I think I only did that once, the bike had a big frame.

I guess this is a pretty dumb question to only get a couple replies. First build and thought I might get some more responses from the amount of views

I guess this is a pretty dumb question to only get a couple replies. First build and thought I might get some more responses from the amount of views
There are no dumb questions, except the ones you don't ask that become problems later. Just go for the straightest line between the engine drive sprocket, and the rear one. Doesn't matter which way the offset faces if the line is straight and the chain has clearance.

There are no dumb questions, except the ones you don't ask that become problems later. Just go for the straightest line between the engine drive sprocket, and the rear one. Doesn't matter which way the offset faces if the line is straight and the chain has clearance.
Yes, mock ups are your friend. Whatever works in your situation.

Back