Spreading rear bike frame (steel)

I suggest getting 4 turn buckles like this and putting 5° offsets in your chain and seat stays. The off sets will move your drop outs about a 1/16 of an inch closer to your bottom brackets.

Meaning you'll have to put 2 bends in each stay, one near the seat post and one near the drop outs.

Post in thread 'Cold Setting A Bike Chainstay' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/cold-setting-a-bike-chainstay.61605/post-594003
heavy-duty-turnbuckles-thumb.jpg

I suggest getting 4 turn buckles like this and putting 5° offsets in your chain and seat stays. The off sets will move your drop outs about a 1/16 of an inch closer to your bottom brackets.

Post in thread 'Cold Setting A Bike Chainstay' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/cold-setting-a-bike-chainstay.61605/post-594003View attachment 195259
Those turnbuckles get a little expensive...Plus that is a much more complicated solution...My solution cost a whole lot less, a total of about 15 bucks and it only takes seconds to accomplish its purpose....lol.

Those turnbuckles get a little expensive...My solution cost a whole lot less, a total of about 15 bucks...lol.
What I'm suggesting won't kink the tubes and the off sets will bring the drop outs back straight instead of being angled out. You'll need small turn buckles which aren't that expensive

What I'm suggesting won't kink the tubes and the off sets will bring the drop outs back straight instead of being angled out. You'll need small turn buckles which aren't that expensive
It's not that much of a stretch to fit this in all together and it doesn't kink the tubes either...Less than a half an inch is all it takes to fit it all back together...As you know, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my methods so far and have been riding this for a little over three years now with this particular setup...lol.

It's not that much of a stretch to fit this in all together and it doesn't kink the tubes either...Less than a half an inch is all it takes to fit it all back together...As you know, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my methods so far and have been riding this for a little over three years now with this particular setup...lol.
With the turnbuckle method one could spread the drop outs as much as 2 inches. Just putting various options out there. Using a heat gun with the TB method will lower kicking even more. Never ever use a torch as heat source though.

I run electrical conduit for 30 years.

Cheapest turnbuckles I could find at the time when I was contemplating that route was no less than 15 bucks apiece...60 bucks for something that is used this rarely seemed like a real stretch for me to justify that expense when I could just do it for 15 bucks and it takes much less time to do what needs to be done...15 bucks along with doing the whole stretch, put mag wheel into the dropout, and then just pull the pressure release trigger all in less than half a minute......Thats what made the decision for me...lol.

Back