So who here has been pulled over on a MB?

Motorbikes in Florida were never legal. In fact the TL10 ruling before the last one made it very clear putting gasoline engines on bicycles was not allowed and no tags would be given as such. Furthermore there is much documentation here in the past where it is quite clear riders were ticketed and worse for having gas engines on bikes. There is no other side to argue. They always were Illegal and many riders learned the hard way in the hands of law enforcement. Now you can be legal. How this is a negative development escapes me.

Motorbikes in Florida were never legal. In fact the TL10 ruling before the last one made it very clear putting gasoline engines on bicycles was not allowed and no tags would be given as such. Furthermore there is much documentation here in the past where it is quite clear riders were ticketed and worse for having gas engines on bikes. There is no other side to argue. They always were Illegal and many riders learned the hard way in the hands of law enforcement. Now you can be legal. How this is a negative development escapes me.

Actually, you are incorrect..
I saw a document from the DMV (on DMV letterhead), prior to the RS-68 procedure, that stated that adding a gas motor on a bicycle, did not change the status of said bicycle.
In other words, before RS-68, they were bicycles, now they're mopeds.
Not saying anything, one way or the other, just stating the fact.

Here was the content of that letter...
This email is in response to your inquiries to this agency regarding whether placing a gas motor on a bicycle changes the bicycle to something that requires registration and a driver license, e.g. a moped.

The simple answer is no. Our Legal staff has advised that adding a gas engine to a bicycle does not make it anything other than a bicycle. A driver license is not required. A registration is not required. You should check with your local authorities to determine where you are allowed to ride a gas powered bicycle.

If you are having an issue with law enforcement advising you in a different way, we suggest that you provide them a copy of this email and have them contact us directly. Otherwise, we consider this issue resolved.

Sincerely,

Julie W. Gentry, Chief

Bureau of Motorist Compliance

Division of Motorist Services

Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

2900 Apalachee Parkway

Tallahassee, FL 32399

All those guys who got tickets in Florida got them incorrectly? This is your case? Give me a break. History speaks for itself. Motor bicycles were never legal in the State of Florida until the last revision of TL10. In fact what was once a grey area was made black and white in the previous revision. And if the above document worked then it should work now so there should be no argument and be called names and accused of ruining the hobby for those who choose to follow RS68. Copy the email Bonehead and Dougstir and be happy.

Remember, that letter was PRIOR to the RS - 68 procedural document...
And yes, some people DID use that letter (in conjunction with the PREVIOUS TL-10) and did win their cases...
HOWEVER, all of that has changed since RS-68, came out...
So that letter is of no use to anyone, anymore.

P.S. I have that original DMV letter in my possession, useless as it is.
(I received it from the original owner late last year).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is a wrong assumption on your part. The change to TL10 allowed for the registration of a bike with a gas motor. It never required a tag for a bike with a gas motor. RS 68 outlines the requirements in order to get the tag. No where does it say it is mandatory if you choose not to register. So your letter may still be very viable. As a matter of fact I see nothing that would discount it. And do Police Departments really understand TL10 and RS68? Now if they see a tag they are ok. IF they don't you are right back where you were with your letter. That's how I see it.

No where does it say it is mandatory if you choose not to register. So your letter may still be very viable

Actually in Exhibit B of RS-68, it states...

Does a bicycle with a gas powered motor, which allows it to obtain speeds up to 30 mph meet the statutory definition of a motor vehicle and require a driver license to operate?
A. Yes, a driver license and registration are required.

So I would say the prior DMV document is nullified.
But let those who really want to argue, worry about it.

Actually in Exhibit B of RS-68, it states...

Does a bicycle with a gas powered motor, which allows it to obtain speeds up to 30 mph meet the statutory definition of a motor vehicle and require a driver license to operate?
A. Yes, a driver license and registration are required.

So I would say the prior DMV document is nullified.
But let those who really want to argue, worry about it.

I stand corrected. So now it is law for all. As it should be. No more police hassles.

Gene, Your a Jackas-s. Get a Motorcycle license and stay out of the bike lanes and off the sidewalks.

With all the Drunks acting out here being so outraged at those who got a legal tag I wonder if ever dawned on their low IQ that this Thread is over 7 pages long with 70 posts and yet while it is entitled So who here has been pulled over on a MB there has been an overwhelming no responses. LOL None. Me thinks you protest too much. Get sober Get legal

Back