Crashes Brother got ran over by a pompous fool in a hurry

Urban Fatbiker

Local time
7:26 AM
My brother had an accident.
20230625_151801.jpg
20230625_151841.jpg

The most dangerous move a cyclist can make, a left-hand turn on a busy two-lane street into a drive.

He took the lane, slowed down, he used the turn signal, but failed to take that last look.

NEVER skip that last look! Frankly don't turn unless you KNOW that fool behind you knows what YOU are doing, wave your arms turn your head, assume NOTHING!

Legally its all on the driver. That turn signal was still flashing when cops arrived. Bike was in driveway, brother on his side in the yard.

Driver of SUV chose that moment to pass in a no-pass zone. It sent him flying.

He was sent to the ER, only bruising seen. Recovering ok.

Driver was cited for no insurance and given a court date to face charges, not sure what yet. It upset the driver (good). The witness (his daughter) was more worried about dad of course. Happy Father's Day geez.

I'm gonna help on this one, getting copy of accident report, checking out this driver. If they're destitute let the court take their license, geez my brother is riding a bike cause insurance lapsed and he can't afford to get it restored till July. If that old man can do it well judge she can too.

If, however, I find simple failure to renew policy, a nice home, a job, savings, its time for the big suing.

Rear and front wheels trashed. The bike skidded on the road laying on the pull-start, but nothing damaged on engine.

I've moved all of it to a new frame, cause I don't want to waste time and find the frame twisted too.
On this project I'm running a tab! This billing may be an official court statement from the mechanic, when we sue this pompous hag who ran down an old man on a bicycle.

Does your brother have signal lights that can be seen in daylight? Sadly many don't know what hand signals mean.

Does he use mirrors? With them you can see much more behind you than merely twisting back to look.

Due to stock limitations from the supplier, I'm forced to substitute. Rear wheel upgraded to freewheel hub and 7-speed cassette, tire changed for hookworm, tube replaced. Front wheel, tire, tube replaced.
Frame, front derailluer replaced with a mongoose excelsior (steel frame) with replacement suspension seatpost.

Remainder of parts swapped over. Pics later of complete restore.
20230626_125613.jpg

Due to stock limitations from the supplier, I'm forced to substitute. Rear wheel upgraded to freewheel hub and 7-speed cassette, tire changed for hookworm, tube replaced. Front wheel, tire, tube replaced.
Frame, front derailluer replaced with a mongoose excelsior (steel frame) with replacement suspension seatpost.

Remainder of parts swapped over. Pics later of complete restore.
View attachment 194414
A freewheel and cassette are 2 different things however both types of hubs use cogs. When ordering stuff it's important to use the correct terminology; otherwise you may get something you can't use.

Does your brother have signal lights that can be seen in daylight? Sadly many don't know what hand signals mean.

Does he use mirrors? With them you can see much more behind you than merely twisting back to look.
Yes and yes, but for that road and kind of turn I'd add a look-back anyways! He actually said he checked his mirror but driver moved immediately to pass, the speed limit had just changed to 45 a block before. Guess that driver got pissy. Total FAAFO for her coming, if she ain't already walking.

Cassette is specific to freewheel hub.

Freewheel is a cassette and freewheel assembly that screws on a threaded hub.

No parts ordered on this build, the note of supplier limitations = my budget uses stuff I already had cause I'm broke.

Cassette is specific to freewheel hub.

Freewheel is a cassette and freewheel assembly that screws on a threaded hub.

No parts ordered on this build, the note of supplier limitations = my budget uses stuff I already had cause I'm broke.
Well what I see of the new bike looks really nice. You do good enough work that some of us would think you have an enormous budget

Yes and yes, but for that road and kind of turn I'd add a look-back anyways! He actually said he checked his mirror but driver moved immediately to pass, the speed limit had just changed to 45 a block before. Guess that driver got pissy. Total FAAFO for her coming, if she ain't already walking.
I find the look back helps if the vehicle is in your mirror's blind spot.

Here's a little thing I do he may want to try in the future. I make my left turn from the center of the lane. This way my back wheel is still in the center of the lane but my front wheel is to the far left of the lane. This enables me to do right left right just like when you're at a STOP sign.

Back