Should we start steering newbies to friction drives?

Ohh, I wanna play. All new redundant questions:

"What are the best tires for my friction drive?"

"What is the best roller (Size/material/shape)?"

"Can I (insert random weird mounting question here) with my friction drive?"

And, of course, all the same running problem and carb questions you get with every other type of drive.

Ohh, I wanna play. All new redundant questions:

"What are the best tires for my friction drive?"

"What is the best roller (Size/material/shape)?"

"Can I (insert random weird mounting question here) with my friction drive?"

And, of course, all the same running problem and carb questions you get with every other type of drive.
Lil grumpy today? Confucious say, swim down stream instead of upstream. Life good!

Rack mount chain drive is pretty straightforward
That's what I have.

Most of the Staton Inc kits are RMCD's. David has been producing his kits since 1983.

Also if you check out the early forum Media pictures when the forum was starting out; you'll find many of the builds were RMCD's

That's what I have.

Most of the Staton Inc kits are RMCD's. David has been producing his kits since 1983.

Also if you check out the early forum Media pictures when the forum was starting out; you'll find many of the builds were RMCD's
Then you only need a bigger rack for a 212.

I think I'd steer a newbie more in this direction.

Thread 'Friction Drive Obsolete With Double Right-Sided Drive' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/friction-drive-obsolete-with-double-right-sided-drive.60947/
I have actually been considering a build like that, but using a 90 degree bevel drive so the engine and fuel tank can be in-line with the frame of the bike to keep the center of gravity more centered. Just need to figure out what ratio bevel drive to run, but there is a wide variety. 1:1 to 60:1 and most everything in between.

Back