Anybody Riding Friction Drives?

Cannonball3

Local time
2:53 AM
Dont see much action in the friction drive heading. Anybody ride one? They are one of my favorite builds. I have built many
different types, front drive, rear drive, in frame mount, using 3speed hubs, small motors, larger motors etc. Tried a bunch of different
roller materials even a roller that positively drives in the rain.
Anybody interested in discussing them?
Heres one from way back. This bike eventually ran a 2.75” roller if I remember correctly and topped 40 mph.
Used a scissor lift to raise the engine.

Attachments

• A152C0DE-6AB3-48E1-AB58-127225970A81.png
    A152C0DE-6AB3-48E1-AB58-127225970A81.png
    996.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 2FBB1597-8ABB-45D0-A238-66EAA29DE107.png
    2FBB1597-8ABB-45D0-A238-66EAA29DE107.png
    999.3 KB · Views: 255
Well I was, but that bike is getting changed over to chain drive and 48cc.

I'm redoing that rig for direct drive on another bike the setup will look a lot like Cannonballs when its done.

Yep, I have had a lot of bikes the evolve from one type to another. I have dismantled others, given some away. This
hobby is certainly an addiction if one likes building mechanical contraptions.
This started out as a 3sp friction drive. It evolved into what I guess is a form of gear or maybe direct displacement drive, if there is such a thing. The spokes engage the knobs on the tires for a positive drive even under wet conditions.

Attachments

• E9A02700-ED64-406A-BB7C-DD70CDA38AE2.jpeg
    E9A02700-ED64-406A-BB7C-DD70CDA38AE2.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 231
This is a good start for building a 3spd friction drive. An 18t sprocket welded or bolted to an open center weldable pulley
makes the drive. Rest is built around the bike/engine. A 49cc 4stroke would be a great combo. There are many clutch
hub and gear boxes for that engine or a 2stroker if one prefers.

Attachments

• 79C9CB2B-02D2-43EE-A8B4-EC65DC1B6A8E.jpeg
    79C9CB2B-02D2-43EE-A8B4-EC65DC1B6A8E.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 239
I love your work, lot of work and thought involved. I have been riding all spring and summer. I have also gotten my partner out for riding on her mid 70s Raleigh a few times.

I've been checking in every once in a while, but two jobs and motorized bicycle projects keep me plenty busy. Winter is coming though, at least for most of us and I'll have a little more time too get on the forums.

I have a project that I am excited to show everyone. Couple weeks or a month I'll make a nice lengthy post, with lots of pictures and info.

I am still dedicated to making a water "resistant" roller.. I am always thinking of ideas and what could work. Biggest thing is making something strong as steel.

Been throwing an idea around of using a nice smooth, bike tire tread and applying epoxy to secure it on the roller. IDK I just like trying ideas and staying busy. I really admire the spoke drive you made.

Thanks for the kind words!

These are just a few of the many FDs I have built over the years. Personally I think, even though they are limited by wet weather, the simplicity and the inherent reliability make them a viable choice.

Regarding wet weather use, the best operation I had was with a section of 60grit sanding belt bonded to an wood roller. It positively drove in the wet, but had to be replaced as soon as dry occurred as tire wear was high. Apparently
water acted as a lubricant as tire wear was normal in the wet. This was not a problem with my direct drive set up as a roller could be replaced in under a minute. My first experiments were with rubber rollers which worked ok. I finally settled on oak. I actually ran a bonded tire tread roller once. Worked ok but not in the wet. A large degree of success
depends on roller size and tire type. A large roller with a large cross section tire is best. Some degree of added down force is also necessary. The best tire for my usage was the common 2.125 cruiser tire. Now that the Hookworm type
tires are with us they work best. Also use thorn proof tires with tire pressure at 30psi. A small fast turning roller works, but is subject to spin out under heavy loading. I prefer a 2+ hp four stroke as they have the torque to climb just about any hill out there with the right roller. My Lifan bike pulled a loaded single wheel trailer more often than not.

I look forward to seeing what you are working on.

If I was going to build another FD I would probably duplicate this bike in some form. Its nice to carry the larger 4stroke weight in the frame. This bike started with the engine racked on the rear. This one is built as a bobber.

Recent project. Little tasty photo. Expect a photo bomb In the next couple weeks..

Attachments

• 20211004_150253.jpg
    20211004_150253.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 242
Back